Menu

writing curric

faiths13

Without knowing more about your dc's writing skills I would suggest IEW for a year followed by WWS.

IEW is a great program for getting dc writing about content subjects - history, science, geography. It also helps in getting dc to become familiar with stylistic techniques that make their writing sound more polished. My one warning though is to not become a slave to the checklist. If your writing sounds "off" due to adding in a dress-up then don't use it. My dc have become better at discerning when and where to use stylistic techniques since using IEW.

Once they are writing about content topics easily and have a tool belt of style techniques they can move onto concentrating on what to write about and the proper organization of that content. For that I would choose WWS and stay with it for as long as SWB keeps writing the programs.

Just went to check out IEW and its pricey! I don't think I want to spend that much.

Just FYI, the TWWS is basically instruction for teaching the program. You could teach them together. It teaches you how to gather your own source material, and provides materials for each topic of writing in the program. It could be all you buy for more than one year. However long you use it. I plan to use it for a few years.

If you don't want to go with the TWSS\SWI combo you can just get by with the SWI and an overview dvd (to give you the basics of the program). You can use SWI-B with both of your dc. They can each work at their own pace. Once they are finished with it you can sell it for probably 60-70% of what you purchased it for. The resale is pretty good. If you end up not liking it or feel it wasn't beneficial, even if you used it for almost the whole year, you can send it back. They have an unconditional money back guarantee...they even pay for the return shipping. I just returned a product I've had since June - no questions asked.

Another option might be Jump In. It is put out by Apologia, but is similar in some ways to IEW. Jump In is written to the student, is informal in tone, and focuses on helping the student think of what to say and how to organize their writing. The program includes short exercises, and then longer end-of-unit assignments of 1-paragraph, 3-paragraph, or multi-paragraph length. Jump In covers all 4 types of writing (descriptive, narrative, expository, and persuasive), but especially focuses on expository (factual) and persuasive paragraphs and essays.

The program is designed to take 2 years, BUT, that is because you are encouraged to insert a few weeks of "free writing" in between each of the 14 units. While I have nothing against free writing, we found that to be excessively long to break for free writing (we found it worked better to do it just once a week or every other week). And, frankly, the writing prompts for the free writing in Jump In are quite lame, boring and uninspiring. We used other things for free writing. As a result, it only took 1 year to complete Jump In.

Here's a past thread, with various posters' experiences with the program, plus links to even more past threads with responses on the program. And here is the Cathy Duffy review of the program.

I suggest Jump In since you have not done a formal writing program before, and it sounds like your DC don't dislike writing as long as it isn't "formal school" -- Jump In might be a more gentle, informal transition as you move towards a more formal writing program. BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Another option might be Jump In. It is put out by Apologia, but is similar in some ways to IEW. Jump In is written to the student, is informal in tone, and focuses on helping the student think of what to say and how to organize their writing. The program includes short exercises, and then longer end-of-unit assignments of 1-paragraph, 3-paragraph, or multi-paragraph length. Jump In covers all 4 types of writing (descriptive, narrative, expository, and persuasive), but especially focuses on expository (factual) and persuasive paragraphs and essays.

Not the OP, but this sounds just what we need too!

I am always underwhelmed by IEW. We are using it now for 6th grade in our Aquinas Learning Center (and I attempted to try it twice before this, but gave up each time) My dd goes along with it but I personally think it is overly complicated and dumbed down. I just don't get it. I really, really, really (!) like SWB's Writing series. We did two years of Writing with Ease (though we didn't finish either book) and then a year of Writing with Skill (with my older son for 7th grade last year). I just loved it! This year the now 8th grader is using The Lost Tools of Writing (for his Aquinas Learning. Like IEW it strips things down to a formula, but somehow it does not have the overly complicated yet somehow dumbed down feeling that I always get from IEW. It is more straightforward and simple in its presentation, yet seems to have a lot more depth.

My two cents!

We recently started Essentials in Writing and my dd (grade 6) is enjoying it. She is also one that loves to write stories on her own, but when it comes to instruction it's like pulling teeth trying to get her to write anything. We have tried several, and Essentials in Writing seems to be the winner here. :)

I am using this with my 4th and 7th graders. It's getting done. I did have IEW before, but really like the clear beginning and ending to lessons in EIW. Also, my kids have a pretty good vocabulary, and I like it when their writing sounds like them. I only ask them to use a thesaurus if the same word gets used repeatedly. I don't see developing voice as some future goal for after they master a set of "tricks". I want them to have their own voice NOW.

I do a lot of leading with my 9 year old. He'll be working on a writing assignment, and be stalled. I'll ask him a question (What happened next etc) and he gives the typical one or two word answer. I'll have him make it into a complete sentence, maybe ask him to elaborate it a bit and then tell him "Write that down". And so on. It gets tedious, but he's improving.