Menu

Disney Moms - Transportation Questions

We are going to be staying at the Port Orleans Resort next week and are so excited. We've never stayed on-site before.

Is it better to use the bus system or just drive?

Also, we are eating breakfast at Boma one morning. I know we need extra time to get there, but how much?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Every time we've been to Disney, we use on-site transportation. It's one of the reasons we like going. We don't see our car all week we are there. The year we stayed at Ft Wilderness, we exclusively used the buses, even when it meant constantly changing buses. It does take a bit of time but it's worth the savings on gas to us.

I can't answer about Boma. We've never eaten there.

To go to Boma I would either drive or take a cab. It can take a long time, as you will have to take a bus to either TTC or one of the parks, and then another bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge. I also recommend spending extra time there exploring the lodge and the animal trails.

Other than that, use Disney Transportation. That's what we always use, we love it.

Honestly we just got back from a week there and only used the car twice. Once we came out and saw there was a huge line for the bus to Hollywood Studios and honestly just didn't feel like cramming in that early in the morning. The second time was when we had reservations before the park opened. DH and DD took the car to Epcot because we were uncertain how well the bus system worked before the park opened. Turned out the bus system worked fine, DS and I made it to Animal Kingdom with plenty of time to spare, and the next time we had pre park opening reservations at Magic Kingdom we all took the bus together. The buses were crowded, especially in the evenings, but overall not bad. They had plenty of them running and we never waited more than 5-10 minutes (although that could have just been lucky timing on our part).

If you already have a car there I would probably drive to Boma. I just think it would be a pain to take a bus to a park to get another one to Animal Kingdom Lodge, but we were also dealing with a double stroller, a 2 year old and a 4 year old. If your kids are older buses would probably be fine.

I hope you have a great time!!

We always stay at POR!! You will love it. They just updated all their rooms and they are amazing!!!

When we go to Disney, we always have a car and we rarely use it. I would definitely use it for Boma that first night. It is a long way away (20 minute drive or so). I can only imagine how long it would be on the busses!

The only other time I wish we'd had a car was the night we ate at the Contemporary. I figured that we'd just take the monorail to Magic Kingdom and catch a bus back. Well, Magic Kingdom closed before we'd finished dinner. We ended up having to take a bus to Downtown Disney and transferring to another bus. It took forever. So, be sure to check on that before you eat out at a resort!!!

I'll dissent slightly. When we were there this fall, we took the buses until just before we left when we had to drive for various reasons... and the driving turned out to be sooooo much faster. I wished we had driven more. But we were there at an EXTREMELY low crowd time. It was just empty by Disney standards at times. So that may make a difference. When we did end up driving that last day to Hollywood Studios, our parking space was so close that I think the walk from the car (no need for the tram) was quicker than the walk to the bus stop.

Thanks all! I guess we'll give the bus system a try (except the day we go to Boma). I am all about efficiency, though, so if it turns out we spend a lot of time waiting, we will try the car. I don't think the crowds will be particularly bad, though, except for the first day we are there.

Lisa