Menu

The Great Courses - The Teaching Company....a few questions.....

I'm looking at their catalog - great prices right now - and thinking of getting Joy of Science and Algebra I. There are 30 lessons/30 min. long. Can someone tell me how these are set up and what the student is required to do? Is there a text to purchase or are these just for listening pleasure to use with what you are already using? Any other thoughts or opinions on these courses in general?

There is a thread on the general board right now, also.

We get them from the library, use the catalog for the titles. It comes with a booklet. Mostly for listening pleasure - lecture type, but a wealth of info. If I remember correctly there are study questions in the booklet. You could integrate any way you like. We love the music lectures by Robert Greenburg.

I first heard about Teaching Company's Great Courses in an interview with Christopher Paloini author of Eragon trilogy, he said he listened to the CDs in his car. The videos are okay.

We've used the courses for listening enrichment, but they do come with a booklet (Algebra I) and a recommended text (Joy of Science). We watched both of those courses in their entirety and really enjoyed them. They are very nice-- the Joy of Science is incredibly broad and very interesting, and the Algebra I offered some nice new ways to look at problems, using math manipulative and calculators and such. Both were a hit at our house!

My family enjoys the Great Courses too! We often check several titles from the local public library for road trips. I have never considered the science and algebra lectures - thanks for the tip.

My husband really enjoys the various history lectures on CD for his daily commute to work. In the summer I try to listen to many history and literature lectures (pertaining to the time periods covered in the fall) while painting, housework, etc. Integrating some of the lectures with your children is a great idea and makes learning more fun. :iagree: