Menu

unclaimed funds?

Dh and I have gotten two letters stating we have an unclaimed escrow account from a house in 2007. These letters are from lawyers, not the mortgage company we used. It's not an insignificant amount of money and of course, the letters both say they will file the paperwork to have the funds returned for a 1% fee.

Surely there's a way we can do this ourselves? Would we just contact the mortgage company? We still have all the paperwork from the sale of the house and all of our info from the mortgage company. Any ideas?

How long ago was this? Can you contact the old escrow company? I would do that first. We did have unclaimed funds from a retirement acct (long story) because we moved and it didn't get forwarded, so it's possible. But we did it all ourselves and didn't pay anyone. I would be leery.

When we bought our house recently we did get a bit back from escrow, so it is possible to have funds left over in the account, but I don't think the mortgage company would know about it.

Dh and I have gotten two letters stating we have an unclaimed escrow account from a house in 2007. These letters are from lawyers, not the mortgage company we used. It's not an insignificant amount of money and of course, the letters both say they will file the paperwork to have the funds returned for a 1% fee.

Surely there's a way we can do this ourselves? Would we just contact the mortgage company? We still have all the paperwork from the sale of the house and all of our info from the mortgage company. Any ideas?

You don't have to pay a fee. If the money has been sent to the unclaimed property division of the state where you lived at the time you had the mortgage, the state will return the money w/o taking a cut. Check with the "unclaimed property" office in your state. If it's Texas, here's the link: http://www.ClaimitTexas.org. The site is "Claim it Texas.org" w/o spaces.

If it's not Texas, there are similar sites for all states. DON'T pay someone to do it for you; you can do it!

Lisa