Menu

Fun books for an 8 year old and a 12 year old?

Annie Laurie

For Christmas, I always get my kids some book sets that they've wanted to read or that they enjoyed so much they want to own.

This year I'm stumped on my two middle boys.

My 12 year old does not like to read. He prefers non-fiction, visual trivia type books or comics when it's free reading.

My 8 year old likes to read, but he gets bored easily and his preferences vary so widely. He likes action and adventure, graphic novels and comics, some historical fiction, and fiction like Andrew Clement's books, and fantasy like Harry Potter and Narnia.

Any ideas on some books they would enjoy? I'm desperate- I don't seem to have one single idea.

Although I cannot recommend it because I have not personally seen it or pre-read it, but we have several friends with older boys who have recommended the Ranger's Apprentice series to us. Funnily enough, the whole series is on sale in the Scholastic book catalog they brought home from school today so it may end up as a joint present for them but that is here in Australia.

Here is a link to the whole series.

Although I cannot recommend it because I have not personally seen it or pre-read it, but we have several friends with older boys who have recommended the Ranger's Apprentice series to us. Funnily enough, the whole series is on sale in the Scholastic book catalog they brought home from school today so it may end up as a joint present for them but that is here in Australia.

Here is a link to the whole series.

These sound really awesome, too. You ladies are good! My fantasy loving dd would like those books too.

Still open to other ideas as well, I like to buy lots of books. :D

Have they tried the Percy Jackson series? Or the Kane Chronicles? Both by Rich Rhiordan. DH just got back from a month long trip and I made the boys wait to read the newest one, because DH loves doing them as read-alouds before bed. They are chomping at the bit for him to get over his jet-lag so he will start reading to them. I think I may have promised them tonight is the night....

Books by Emily Rodda. There is a whole series of DVDs for her series Deltora Quest so you could do books and movies. Here is a link to the books. She also has other series, but I am not familiar with them, although they are on my boys' lists. One is called The Three Door Trilogy.

Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles was one of my first introductions to fantasy when I was about 10 and still holds a very dear place in my heart.

The Belgariad series and the Malloreon series (which is basically a continuation of the Belgariad) by David Eddings are also wonderful. His other series is the Elenium and The Tamuli (continuation of the Elenium). I haven't read his Dreamers series, so cannot recommend it.

There is also the series of books called Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer that my kids have been begging for, but like the Ranger's series I haven't actuall had a chance to look at them. I think the main character my not be your typical protagonist (not really a good guy) but is hugely popular.

If I think of more, I will add them.

You are going to get so sick of me, but I am writing these down too. M DS7 is a voracious reader and DS9 has just found the love of reading.

I have heard good things about the Underlander Chronicles by the authour of the Hunger Games. I think she wrote the Underlander stuff first.

When I went to Amazon to look up the Underlander series, a number of boxed sets showed up, including the Prydain series I mentioned before. Also mentioned are:

Shadow Children boxed set (review says good for reluctant readers)

Inkheart Trilogy

Fablehaven boxed set - don't know anything about this series, but the authour bio says "Brandon’s greatest regret is that he has but one life to give for Gondor" which is enough to make me want to buy it.

There is, of course, the Chronicles of Narnia.

The Complete Adventures of the Borrowers

Alright, got to stop now.

Horrible Books, for sure. DD loves the science set.

A set of books that combines book facts and a great storyline is Guardians of Ga'hoole. DD learned so many facts about different owls. The author has taken the time to do her research.

My kids hated the movie. Are the books different/better? I have hesitated getting them because of how much they did not like the movie.

I'll suggest Guinness World Records 2013 and MythBusters: The Explosive Truth Behind 30 of the Most Perplexing Urban Legends of All Time for the 12 year old. I would get him one really good novel and give him lots of time to get bored enough to read it. Harry Potter, Holes and Hatchet got my book-phobic stepson into reading at about 11.

jenr had a lot of good suggestions for your younger guy. If he hasn't read them yet, the Percy Jackson books are a great place to start.

My kids hated the movie. Are the books different/better? I have hesitated getting them because of how much they did not like the movie.

Why did they hate it? The visuals are beautiful, although DD is not a video person or maybe I don't really allow any screen time, so we've never finished it. And, she has never actually requested subquently.

I was stumbling around looking for a series that was age-appropriate. I found some of Tamora Pierce's books to be too mature for DD, but anything with animals is almost always suitable. She's beyond the simplicity of Burgess. We had finished Ranger's Apprentice, which has some violence and a good plot, but I was tired of boy-likes-girl of the human variety. Guardians has great, lovable characters, with a clear over-arching theme of good versus evil, which seems important to DD.

Have they tried the Percy Jackson series? Or the Kane Chronicles?

Books by Emily Rodda. There is a whole series of DVDs for her series Deltora Quest so you could do books and movies. Here is a link to the books. She also has other series, but I am not familiar with them, although they are on my boys' lists. One is called The Three Door Trilogy.

Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles was one of my first introductions to fantasy when I was about 10 and still holds a very dear place in my heart.

The Belgariad series and the Malloreon series (which is basically a continuation of the Belgariad) by David Eddings are also wonderful. His other series is the Elenium and The Tamuli (continuation of the Elenium). I haven't read his Dreamers series, so cannot recommend it.

There is also the series of books called Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer that my kids have been begging for, but like the Ranger's series I haven't actuall had a chance to look at them. I think the main character my not be your typical protagonist (not really a good guy) but is hugely popular.

If I think of more, I will add them.

Great suggestions!

My 8 yr old boy and his 10 yr old sister have read both Rick Rhiordan series and they loved them. My dd has read some of Emily Rodda's books, but I didn't know there were so many different series. The other suggestions are great too and I'll look into those.

You are going to get so sick of me, but I am writing these down too. M DS7 is a voracious reader and DS9 has just found the love of reading.

I have heard good things about the Underlander Chronicles by the authour of the Hunger Games. I think she wrote the Underlander stuff first.

When I went to Amazon to look up the Underlander series, a number of boxed sets showed up, including the Prydain series I mentioned before. Also mentioned are:

Shadow Children boxed set (review says good for reluctant readers)

Inkheart Trilogy

Fablehaven boxed set - don't know anything about this series, but the authour bio says "Brandon’s greatest regret is that he has but one life to give for Gondor" which is enough to make me want to buy it.

There is, of course, the Chronicles of Narnia.

The Complete Adventures of the Borrowers

Alright, got to stop now.

Never! I can't ever get sick of someone with book suggestions, I love hearing them, thank you. Inkheart, Narnia, and the Borrowers have all been read here, but I will check out the other suggestions. I'll definitely save the ones they don't get for Christmas as library book ideas.

This looks like something my boys would really like!

Horrible Books, for sure. DD loves the science set.

A set of books that combines book facts and a great storyline is Guardians of Ga'hoole. DD learned so many facts about different owls. The author has taken the time to do her research.

I'm definitely getting the Horrible Science books. They read the Ga'hoole books and loved them.

I'll suggest Guinness World Records 2013 and MythBusters: The Explosive Truth Behind 30 of the Most Perplexing Urban Legends of All Time for the 12 year old. I would get him one really good novel and give him lots of time to get bored enough to read it. Harry Potter, Holes and Hatchet got my book-phobic stepson into reading at about 11.

jenr had a lot of good suggestions for your younger guy. If he hasn't read them yet, the Percy Jackson books are a great place to start.

Can you believe that my 12 year old got bored with Harry Potter? I really need to be more insistent about free reading time for him. He'd rather do something physical with his time, but I feel like he's missing out by not developing a habit of reading too.

His siblings have read the Percy Jackson books. My dd got a boxed set last Christmas, and I don't know why I hadn't thought of having my 12 yr old borrow those. The Mythbusters book I'm definitely looking into. Thanks!

For Christmas, I always get my kids some book sets that they've wanted to read or that they enjoyed so much they want to own.

This year I'm stumped on my two middle boys.

My 12 year old does not like to read. He prefers non-fiction, visual trivia type books or comics when it's free reading.

My 8 year old likes to read, but he gets bored easily and his preferences vary so widely. He likes action and adventure, graphic novels and comics, some historical fiction, and fiction like Andrew Clement's books, and fantasy like Harry Potter and Narnia.

Any ideas on some books they would enjoy? I'm desperate- I don't seem to have one single idea.

I think the book, "Thor's Wedding Day" by Bruce Coville will be perfect for you youngest, and maybe work for your eldest.

It is a funny novel based on the histrocial Norse Myths. Lots of action and adventure, and fantasy. It also has several nice pictures in the chapter book, or if you prefer great advice acting in the audio book.

These sound really awesome, too. You ladies are good! My fantasy loving dd would like those books too.

Still open to other ideas as well, I like to buy lots of books. :D

If you have a fantasy loving dd, and haven't already done so read,, "The Enchanted Forest" series starting with "Dealing with Dragons"

I was stumbling around looking for a series that was age-appropriate. I found some of Tamora Pierce's books to be too mature for DD, but anything with animals is almost always suitable. She's beyond the simplicity of Burgess. We had finished Ranger's Apprentice, which has some violence and a good plot, but I was tired of boy-likes-girl of the human variety. Guardians has great, lovable characters, with a clear over-arching theme of good versus evil, which seems important to DD.

A story your DD Mght really like that involves animals that has a great plot is (poop, I forget the series names)

The first book is Poppy. It's written by Avi.

There are seven books in the series including. Prequel to Poppy named Ragweed. I personally like to read Poppy first, and then go back to Ragweed.