Menu

Central Oklahoma- Guthrie/Edmond??

Hi fellow Okies!

My DH finally got the promotion he has been trying for for the last 4 years!!!!!

The problem is that it requires moving to the OKC area, on short notice, when we have been in this house for 10 years and don't have a mortgage. And of course it is a month and half before christmas and DH busiest time at work!

I am really excited, ready to be out of this tiny little house in a too busy neighborhood, but also nervous to move away to where I really don't know the area or neighborhoods that well.

That being said I think Guthrie is our first choice right now, it would only be a 25-30 minute drive for DH, and I already found an active secular HS group in Edmond which would be easy for me and DS to attend.

Can anyone tell me more about the areas? Schools just in case, and why on earth these gorgeous remodeled victorians are so cheap?

Guthrie is in the middle of nowhere. It is a small town. I would not move there and I have relatives that live there.

If I was moving back to OKC I would move to Moore or Norman (but Norman might be too far) They have the best schools and a lot of great neighborhoods. There is plenty of stuff nearby. Being in Moore would put you near Norman, which is a college town. Norman has some fun stuff to do, I would look at the Firehouse Arts Center for art classes.

I mean, if your goal is being further away from everything but getting a bigger house for the money it might not be bad but it would be too far from fun stuff for me. And if you are out and about you have to take I-35 to get anywhere and that can be a nightmare because there is always construction on it. If there is construction/traffic it can be much longer than 30 minutes...I don't think someone could make the drive in 20. Is he going to be working on north side okc?

I would not want to live in OKC but some areas are good. Edmond would be ok and has good schools.

Congrats to your dh :)

Edited by Sis

Where will he be working in OKC? It will probably be more than 30 minutes from Guthrie. He would be driving through small town America, not strict highway miles at 55 mph+. I was born and raised in the greater OKC area, dh and I both attended OU. We plan on retiring back to OKC, so we look at houses in the area frequently.

Why the appeal in Guthrie? Do you want land? You can get that within the OKC/Moore area or just outside of Norman. There are some newer houses in the Mustang area that have a little land too, we looked at one between OKC and Mustang last time we were home.

He will be working on the north side of the city, near 35.

We do want to be out of the city, as much as possible, but not rural if that makes any sense at all. Right now we live right smack in the middle of a part of Tulsa that is undergoing major renovations and upward mobility. The constant construction and traffic and noise and drunk people is just too much!!

We do want to be out of the city, as much as possible, but not rural if that makes any sense at all. Right now we live right smack in the middle of a part of Tulsa that is undergoing major renovations and upward mobility. The constant construction and traffic and noise and drunk people is just too much!!

I once dated a guy originally from Guthrie, their main source of fun for teens was drinking in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Granted, that was a long time ago, but it would be too rural for me.

Try Mustang or around Lake Hefner even. DH and I have noticed a lot of nice homes in those areas.

Since you are not very far I would drive down over the weekend and look. Guthrie has a lot of historic homes and the downtown is lovely but you are going to want to take a good look at what sort of drive you are looking at to get places and what is around there.

Like Mrs Mungo said, I would try Mustang, around Lake Hefner, and I would also look at Edmond.

We live and Moore and love it here! We are part of a GREAT co-op and homeschool group. Moore also has great schools, if you would ever need to use them. We have a nice library, awesome sports programs, and there are options to live more rural, but still be in Moore. I worked up north near NW 122nd and Penn when I worked and it took me about 25 minutes to get to work from my house in Moore.

Thanks for all the input! I think we are planning on driving down there on Wednesday with a list of potential neighborhoods. Guthrie just totally sucked me in with those wonderful remodeled Victorians for such awesome prices.

My mind was fuzzy from having visions of closets and pantries and built in storage in all those nooks and crannies :drool:

I grew up in the big city, and we spent weekend nights drinking beer in fields :001_smile:

I love Norman, it has a similar feel to midtown Tulsa where we live now, but I will have to be driving back every other weekend and don't want to deal with that extra hassle and traffic.

I might just have to get over myself and go with a suburban type area, cookie cutter or not. We have some friends that just moved into a neighborhood that is literally crawling with kids at 4 pm every day, I am totally jealous!

I actually purchased the house we have now because there was a kid within a year of DS in nearly every house on the block. Then they all moved out within 2 years and no kids since :glare:

Right now there is also a police helicopter flying around, and has been for over 2 hours, we live in a safe area, but the bad area just keeps encroaching closer and closer. I want to hear crickets and frogs, or maybe even coyotes and owls, not sirens and the bands at the bars!