Menu

HODers...If you use something different for Spelling, English, or Writing

melissamomof5

For my 4th grade 9yr old we use Spelling power on top of dictation in Bigger. Our reason is because he was doing well with it before starting HOD so I didn't want to stop :) We do it on the days dictation aren't scheduled.

For my 2nd grade 7yr old we use FLL because I didn't like R&S 2 and didn't have great reviews. FLL is a very gentle yet thorough introduction to grammar. We will use R&S starting next year though. I like level 3 and up.

I use R&S Spelling because I think phonetics are important and the words are too easy in dictation, but not necessarily the punctuation.

I use CGE for English. R&S to me is like kicking a dead horse. CGE seems to move along the same way, but more contextual. And it just didn't stick. We both tuned out.

Writing; I'm all over the place. I usually use what HOD has, but have been known to drift. I thought Write with the Best had too much grammar, but a good program. The grammar portion was frustrating. We did IEW and while I like it, I find Medieval writing completely boring and history overkill. I love the skills IEW has, and I would just change all the writing courses in HOD and stick with IEW, but I won't due to the expense. I only have one kid, and for one it's just too HUGE of an expense. I think it would go better if I listened to the DVD's. I'm on the lookout for a program that I can use all the way through, not to jump from one program to another. That drives me batty.

Edited by alilac
typos sheesh.

We use IEW writing. It is only used in the RTR guide but I use it for all of my kids. That means that we skip ANY additional writing assignments/lessons in Rod and Staff, but my kids still do handwriting, copy work, and any written narrations given in the HOD guides.

Not sure we are going to use Rod and Staff next year. It would be easy to do any other grammar because essentially you jut do the next page or lesson.

This is our first year using studied dictation because its fast and easy. But my youngest will do AAS levels 1-3 before he starts the dictation in the HOD guides.

I use CLE math for two of my kids and Rod and Staff math for another.

We use R&S English but I go ahead and start it in second grade and then just continue on with it on our own schedule. We are also using Writing Tales this year (Writing Tales I with my 9yo who is getting ready to start Preparing; Writing Tales II with my 11 yo in Creation to Christ). I coordinate between WT and R&S so that they are balanced out - if there's a long lesson in WT, we skip R&S. We didn't like Write with the Best at all. Not sure what I will do next year with RTR - probably either CW Homer or WWS I.

We do the dictation in HOD but we also do R&S Spelling at grade level. I've also started the first level of dictation earlier than HOD. I think they start the first level in Bigger but my 7yo who is doing Beyond is doing great with the first level.

Edited by JanOH

I use CLE math for two of my kids and Rod and Staff math for another.

We use R&S English but I go ahead and start it in second grade and then just continue on with it on our own schedule. We are also using Writing Tales this year (Writing Tales I with my 9yo who is getting ready to start Preparing; Writing Tales II with my 11 yo in Creation to Christ). I coordinate between WT and R&S so that they are balanced out - if there's a long lesson in WT, we skip R&S. We didn't like Write with the Best at all. Not sure what I will do next year with RTR - probably either CW Homer or WWS I.

We do the dictation in HOD but we also do R&S Spelling at grade level. I've also started the first level of dictation earlier than HOD. I think they start the first level in Bigger but my 7yo who is doing Beyond is doing great with the first level.

Thank you everybody for the responses!

I was looking into Spelling by Sound & Structure. We used to use it when we used MFW, maybe I'll go back to that?