Menu

tablets and parental controls, etc.

So, I am considering getting my boys inexpensive tablets for christmas. Walmart has their cheap ematic tablets for 59 and will be 49 on thanksgiving day.

My question of tablet users is: is there a way to lock the tablet off the internet connection? Are current apps that are downloaded playable without an internet connection (such as angry birds, etc)

What I would love is to control the content on the tablets by not allowing the children free access to internet. I would just want them available to play apps I have already added to the tablet, books I have already purchased, etc...

anyone else do this?

Yes. On your wifi (probably accessed by putting the IP address 192.168.1.1 in your computer's browser address bar), you can select a connected device and make rules about its access to the internet.

For instance, my 11yo has an iPod touch. Once we got it connected to our wifi, I could find it in the device list and add controls that do not allow internet access between 9pm and 8am. If we are playing Words with Friends, and I send her a word before 9, she receives it on her side. If she returns her word after 9, the app can't send it to me until after 8am.

It will not control access to games played solely on the device, though.

Parental control is one reason I went with a refurbished first generation iPad for dd instead of an alternative. You can restrict browser, YouTube, purchase access while still allowing apps to function that require Internet access. For example, dd likes PBS kids and I like her to use Khan academy and a few other apps that require Internet access but I don't want her buying add ons, searching the web or YouTube. You can also place age restrictions on apps. In other words, if you set it to 4 and up or 9 and up only apps rated for ages below that will show up for the child to access.

Eat: I also appreciate that is it easy to turn on/off. I go in to restrictions area, enter password and can easily enable to browser so I can download library books or other activities and then add the restriction back before she uses it.

Edited by acurtis75@yahoo.com