Menu

I need a handmade creative gift for my grandma's birthday...

I don't have a lot of money, but I do have the best grandma in the whole world. I would love to give her something special for her birthday and I have a bit of time tomorrow to make her something. Any ideas, tutorials??? She deserves the world. I want to show her how much I love her.

I love to give her something

fun...

and/or

unexpected...

and/or

creative...

and/or

useful...

My MIL is like that.

Last year I ran across a gorgeous yarn. It was handspun, a mix of mink and cashmere! Unbelievably soft, completely natural, a strand of gray plied with a strand of a deep lavendar blue. So it was not glitzy at all. Luxurious (and actually appallingly expensive) without looking showy, and very cozy. I knit her a scarf from this, and it's so cool because it's very warm, not remotely itchy, not sparkly or show offy, but still very pampering.

Elderly people lose flesh in their extremities, and their circulation slows down, so their hands and feet are usually colder than most, and they also have more issues with drafts or wind than others. So something like that is a really nice gift, and it doesn't take up too much room, which is also critical.

This is probably not what you are looking for, but since my grandma loved it so much, I'll mention it anyway. :)

One time I took slips of paper and wrote special memories on them, like "I remember how we used to sit on the porch and shell peas" or "I remember how you used to drive me to my job at xyz restaurant"...you get the idea. of course many of the slips thanked her for all that she had done (she was very active in my life).

The idea was to take out a slip of paper each day and read it, but she loved it and read them all at one time. ;)

The slips can be put into a pretty jar, box, bag, etc.

Now that I have thought of this, I think I'll do it for my sister for Christmas this year. I think she would like it.

I made my grandmas a no sew blanket last year. I found directions on utube on how to tie the fleece together to make a cute blanket. Joanns has fleece on sale this weekend. The blankets are easy and quick to make. The no sew blankets use two types of fleece you tie together but you do not have to double them. If you use one layer of fleece you take the ends on the short side to cut tassels about 1 inch wide, then just tie them. It was a cute throw they were able to cover themselves with.

1 1/2 -2 yards works great.