Menu

World Geography & History

Mom2OandE

I'm really enjoying Trail Guide to World Geography. I am using their student notebook, the recommended atlas, the book with recipes, and the art book. A few of the art projects are going to be a little too complicated for me to do with my son and a friend's son who comes one day a week to our house. The guide has questions for daily use, but I actually do all of the program in just one day each week.

We will be using Expedition Earth after the Christmas holidays. It says it's for K-3rd but I believe you can beef it up a little for a 4th grader. I am using it in combination with FIAR.

I also have Trail Guide to World Geography but I like EE because it's more hands-on and has projects and art lessons for my dd8 and dd6. I like the notebooking pages from TGTWG.

Here is a breakdown of my Countries and Cultures plan.

Expedition Earth as my spine with all the recommended books

FIAR books and activities to go along with the featured country in EE

TGTWG Notebooking pages

Plus printables from Homeschool Creations

I'm really enjoying Trail Guide to World Geography. I am using their student notebook, the recommended atlas, the book with recipes, and the art book. A few of the art projects are going to be a little too complicated for me to do with my son and a friend's son who comes one day a week to our house. The guide has questions for daily use, but I actually do all of the program in just one day each week.

I like the look of this a lot! I actually wanted to use Around the world in 80 days for our world geography and I see it's incorporated at the end. Do you think it would work to do it at the beginning or should we stick to the end? Also I'm tihnking of starting this in the summer so the kids would be 4th/5th grade. Is this ok for a 5th grader whose had no prior world geography?

I like the look of this a lot! I actually wanted to use Around the world in 80 days for our world geography and I see it's incorporated at the end. Do you think it would work to do it at the beginning or should we stick to the end? Also I'm tihnking of starting this in the summer so the kids would be 4th/5th grade. Is this ok for a 5th grader whose had no prior world geography?

I am using this with my 4th grade son and a friend's son who is 2nd grade, who comes to our house one day each week. I am not going to be doing that book with them because I'm stretching the continents sections out and adding in my own science plan to study habitats and other science subjects that are relevant to each region.

I'm sorry I can't recommend if it should be at the beginning or end. It is designed to be at the end, so I would assume they must want you to have some prior knowledge of regions before getting to the book.

I think those ages would be perfect for it. My son, who is 4th, had no prior experience with world geography except some historical mapping during Ancient history last year. He seems to grasp it all much more fully than his friend in 2nd grade.

Do you have a schedule or anything written out as to which DWN books and lessons you used? I have all the books, but I'm not sure how to incorporate them the way you describe.

Ava

Sorry. I just winged it. I just skimmed the book the day before I read it outloud to the student, and looked to see what was in Draw Write Now, that matched.

I often took 2 days to do a picture. We did the background the first day, and then the animal the next. I don't mean 2 days to do one picture. We did 2 different pictures. One was just the background. One was just the animal. Sometimes we even just did the background. If you look on the yellow pages, there is often more information about the backgrounds, that can be used as copywork.

Often I made up a sample page, so the student could copy my exact work, fitted to the paper we were using.

Maps are best scanned, cropped, enlarged and printed out on the exact paper the student will be drawing on.

Students struggle to change scale, or to know where to put titles, and how many lines to skip, or where to indent. A sample is a welcome thing to them and it helps you get the kinks out of the lesson before presenting it.