Menu

Can you tell me about Kava Kava?

No links or facts to back me up, but I've heard it's great for calming nerves. I used it a few times years ago and I remember it having an almost immediate effect.

Hope you find something that works for you!

I used it years ago and it DID work very quickly and was VERY relaxing. However, I think you have to find the right tea as some are stronger than the others. I remember having to get a very specific one, but it's been so long that I don't remember.

I bought a Yogi tea from Whole Foods yesterday. I did not have high hopes, as reviews mentioned it not working. It just about knocked me out. I felt like I had just drunk a really good quality wine. Mellow. I was surprised.

I have read about potential liver damage and that it is outlawed in many European countries, so that concerns me.:confused:

If I recall correctly, the trouble they've had has been with a compound extracted from kava kava and used in isolation. Traditional uses of the whole herb (teas,tinctures) were not the problem. I have a recorded lecture on it somewhere... I'll have to find that and listen again.

I took it years ago. It worked but then I started having tremors and I quit.

I will have to watch for that!

Does anyone know if Kava builds up in your system? Can I drink the tea a few times per week to take an edge off anxiety in general, or do I use it as an immediate fix when feeling very stressed?

I will have to watch for that!

Does anyone know if Kava builds up in your system? Can I drink the tea a few times per week to take an edge off anxiety in general, or do I use it as an immediate fix when feeling very stressed?

No, it's short acting. Yes and yes to uses, though for long term maintenance, there are probably better things to try, if you don't have any contraindications. Not because kava kava is bad, just that other combinations aren't as likely to make you feel druggy.

No, it's short acting. Yes and yes to uses, though for long term maintenance, there are probably better things to try, if you don't have any contraindications. Not because kava kava is bad, just that other combinations aren't as likely to make you feel druggy.

No, I am not taking anything right now. We just went through a really ugly episode with ds having a bad reaction to a stimulant drug, so I am really hesitant to go on anything prescription.

Do you have an idea on something that would be a better option? I sleep fine, but anxiety is a bit of a general thing around here. I would love to find something safe for the kiddos as well.

We have decided to forgo stimulant meds at this time. We were experiencing to many adverse effects and after two years we had definitely given it a good go. We tried a couple others, but they either were not within out budget or didn't work at all.

Years ago I met this taxi-driver from Fiji. I was a regular fare, and we got friendly. He mentioned that he and his buddies met up in the back of a Indian/Fijian market on Wednesday night to socialize, eat some good food and drink some Kava Kava. He suggested I going them. I'm a pretty open character so I said sure.

That next Wednesday I sat as part of a big circle where a good portion of Kava Kava wrapped in fabric was dipped into a big bowl of water and the "juice" was expressed by squeezing. Then the bowl was passed around and the process repeated.

First my mouth went semi-numb, then the brain started spinning. I was seriously twacked. The good new is I was with a bunch of cab-drivers, the bad news is they were as blitzed as I was :D

Used properly this is potent stuff :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I bought a Yogi tea from Whole Foods yesterday. I did not have high hopes, as reviews mentioned it not working. It just about knocked me out. I felt like I had just drunk a really good quality wine. Mellow. I was surprised.

I have read about potential liver damage and that it is outlawed in many European countries, so that concerns me.:confused:

Yes! I think that was the one.

Years ago I met this taxi-driver from Fiji. I was a regular fare, and we got friendly. He mentioned that he and his buddies met up in the back of a Indian/Fijian market on Wednesday night to socialize, eat some good food and drink some Kava Kava. He suggested I going them. I'm a pretty open character so I said sure.

That next Wednesday I sat as part of a big circle where a good portion of Kava Kava wrapped in fabric was dipped into a big bowl of water and the "juice" was expressed by squeezing. Then the bowl was passed around and the process repeated.

First my mouth went semi-numb, then the brain started spinning. I was seriously twacked. The good new is I was with a bunch of cab-drivers, the bad news is they were as blitzed as I was :D

Used properly this is potent stuff :tongue_smilie:

Bill

:lol: Yeah, I understand the fresh, Fijian stuff is much more potent than our teas.

No, I am not taking anything right now. We just went through a really ugly episode with ds having a bad reaction to a stimulant drug, so I am really hesitant to go on anything prescription.

Do you have an idea on something that would be a better option? I sleep fine, but anxiety is a bit of a general thing around here. I would love to find something safe for the kiddos as well.

We have decided to forgo stimulant meds at this time. We were experiencing to many adverse effects and after two years we had definitely given it a good go. We tried a couple others, but they either were not within out budget or didn't work at all.

St. John's wort or valerian, and hops are good for anxiety. Lemon balm is calming. Passionflower is good for calming a racing mind. I would generally use St John's wort and hops tinctures, a few drops in herbal tea or other beverage, a couple times a day, and see how that goes.

I do love the Yogi Kava Stress Relief, and have used it during high stress periods that I knew were finite and that stress and anxiety were the appropriate reaction to the situation. If it was an ongoing thing, though, I'd look for lifestyle changes to take down the stress level, or other, more holistic ways of addressing the cause.