Menu

Tell me about Galloping the Globe

Juliegmom

I'm considering this program instead of ECC. I've loved our first year of homeschooling with Adventures and am definitely tempted to use ECC. The things holding me back are the price, the use of the book basket and my plans to use a different science curriculum. I think I want to do a year of geography before we start the 4 year history cycle and my dd loves all the hands on activities and read-alouds with MFW.

So . . . this has me eyeing GTG. I'm wondering, though, how much of GTG requires the use of other books to drive it and make it rich in content. I would buy the books on the core book list except Considering God's Creation (and I'm not sure about Aquariam Guide and Zoo Guide). Would I still need those? My plan is to use Apologia Zoo 1 (Flying Creatures on the Fifth Day). I live overseas so I must carefully consider using any curriculum that relies heavily on checking out library books. Any thoughts from those that have used GTG? Thank you!!! :bigear:

Galloping the Globe is a list of History/Geography/Biographys for each country as well as Bible verses and what science topics to cover for that country. There is a small list of activities but other then that it is really just a list and you find the resources. There is a cd you can print the flag and a map for the country but I was disappointed that there was a bunch of fluff pages too.

I tried to use it at the beginning of the school year and dropped it. Instead I am using Children Just Like Me and this site http://homeschoolcreations.com/Geography.html

if you scroll down it has each continent listed. I cover each country my own way though. If you are more interested PM me for our schedule.

I'm considering this program instead of ECC. I've loved our first year of homeschooling with Adventures and am definitely tempted to use ECC. The things holding me back are the price, the use of the book basket and my plans to use a different science curriculum. I think I want to do a year of geography before we start the 4 year history cycle and my dd loves all the hands on activities and read-alouds with MFW.

So . . . this has me eyeing GTG. I'm wondering, though, how much of GTG requires the use of other books to drive it and make it rich in content. I would buy the books on the core book list except Considering God's Creation (and I'm not sure about Aquariam Guide and Zoo Guide). Would I still need those? My plan is to use Apologia Zoo 1 (Flying Creatures on the Fifth Day). I live overseas so I must carefully consider using any curriculum that relies heavily on checking out library books. Any thoughts from those that have used GTG? Thank you!!! :bigear:

We are using GTG this year and Apologia Flying Creatures and are LOVING it!! I chose the FIAR titles that go with the GTG Lessons to use as our core books. I made vests for our dss and we put a patch http://www.patchworkdesigns.net/patchprograms.htm#mini on them for each country studied. I also got them passports and flag stickers. I bought all the FIAR books over time from amazon or ebay so I knew I'd have those if we did not get to the library. I also bought some of the books from GTG suggested core. This is a good site that give a large sample of GTG...http://books.google.com/books?id=tr69S9AjrsoC&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=galloping+the+globe+schedule&source=bl&ots=U4i_qY_vbR&sig=U9Py2mz4p75x9iCDPHWthQIYj00&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0z6TUO3rN8e90QWPkYGwBw&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBDgK

HTH some. :)

Pam

p.s. how do you put a link in in place of a word for that link? so the whole link isn't shown in the text you write?

My dd and I found GtG very fun! We used the core books or similar. Mainly :

~Missionary with the Millers,

~ Usborne Living World Encyclopedia

~How People LIve

~Our Father's World

~Around the World in 80 Tales

We have almost all of the FIAR books and they are great additions but if you don't have them you will do just fine with the above or similar books. You will have missionary stories, geography, culture, and fairy tales from those few books.

Oh and if you want to add some lapbooking, or color cards of architecture or animals of the areas you are covering homeschoolshare has lots of freebees!

My dd LOVED the rainforest and wants to cover it again.

One thing you could do for picture books is think of one book per unit that you would like to read and order those (if you don't have them). Plus often times you can find readings on You Tube. Like the Empty Pot for example. We love the reading on U2 of that book. It makes a nice addition to any China study.

I'm in Australia and my library rarely has any of the additional books for GTG. And we were doing different science. And I didn't want to purchase all the core books (like the aquarium/zoo guides). Which meant that I wasn't using much of GTG. So, I got Expedition Earth from COAH and it's just right for us. I use her lesson plan as a checklist and spend 2-3 weeks on a country. We don't do everything on the list. I love that it is all on one page and I can print it out and write additional ideas on it. For awhile I was blending the two, but using less and less of GTG and now I only use EE. GTG sits on my shelf looking adorable.

We are getting ready to start Apologia Zoo 1. :001_smile:

p.s. how do you put a link in in place of a word for that link? so the whole link isn't shown in the text you write?

You have to go the advanced reply part (click the Go Advanced button under the reply box). Then, highlight the text you want to link (so you have to type your text first), then click the Insert Link button (the earth with the chain link in front of it). Paste your link in and your text should be linked.

I'm in Australia and my library rarely has any of the additional books for GTG. And we were doing different science. And I didn't want to purchase all the core books (like the aquarium/zoo guides). Which meant that I wasn't using much of GTG. So, I got Expedition Earth from COAH and it's just right for us. I use her lesson plan as a checklist and spend 2-3 weeks on a country. We don't do everything on the list. I love that it is all on one page and I can print it out and write additional ideas on it. For awhile I was blending the two, but using less and less of GTG and now I only use EE. GTG sits on my shelf looking adorable.

We are getting ready to start Apologia Zoo 1. :001_smile:

You have to go the advanced reply part (click the Go Advanced button under the reply box). Then, highlight the text you want to link (so you have to type your text first), then click the Insert Link button (the earth with the chain link in front of it). Paste your link in and your text should be linked.

Trying it out (linking)... Our first patch for our geography introduction.

Thanks, skeeterbug!

Pam