Menu

Excellence in Literature...writing?

Is there enough direction in here to complete the assignments. Iow, in the sample, I see an assignment to write a 500 word essay on a topic....BUT, is there info on how my student should compile her information and write her essay?

Faithe

Her suggestion for writing instruction was The Elegant Essay. I think her comment was that this was the essay writing book she would have written, but didn't have to.

I have this book and WttW - I chose WttW for lit because there wasn't enough instruction in EIL. I think I was basing this on instruction on how to do literary analysis, though. So, basically, you can ignore me because I'm not answering your question.

But I am absolutely LOVING her EIL books for my high-schoolers. Clear instructions about each unit, great lit choices, lots of supportive context ideas and websites and more. My kids are struggling a bit with the essays but we are also using the AMSCO United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination for our text and it has great instructions to help them with essays on history topics and Analyzing Documents -- so I am not asking the kids to do extensive writing about their literature -- mostly just Author Profiles, using MLA format and such which are very well covered in EIL. Though I am also trying to fit in IEW's Student Writing Intensive C whenever I can :)

Hands down, I recommend getting the IEW materials in early and I love the EIL series.

Best wishes,

Kristin in Hawaii

I'm a little lost when I look at the IEW page. I'm not sure what to get for what grade. I have a 9th grader who is very advanced in writing and I'd like to get her something, but not really sure what to get... any suggestions?

I'm a little lost when I look at the IEW page. I'm not sure what to get for what grade. I have a 9th grader who is very advanced in writing and I'd like to get her something, but not really sure what to get... any suggestions?

The author is very good about getting back to you if you ask questions. The levels can be mix and match so there really isn't a grade level assigned. Although I do believe they get more difficult as they increase in number I-V.