Menu

Please help me find picture books with this theme

Kendall

In the spring, over the course of 6 weeks or so, I read different versions of the Three Little Pigs. We made a chart comparing them. They all liked this (age 4 through 12) and even my 14 year old got in on some of the discussions.

I'd like to do this again, but I want to use books with a similar theme rather than just retellings of the same story. I'm open to any ideas for themes, but specifically I would also like titles of books that show family members(or maybe friends also) sacrificing for others. Such as A Chair for my Mother. We read a picture book once about family members helping one daughter go to high school or maybe it was college. I can't remember the title.

Dogger by Hughes would be another.

If any picture book, or maybe even a short chapter book, comes to mind please share!

Thanks,

Kendall

I second the Giving Tree, and would also consider adding The Quiltmaker's Gift, though it's not about a family, this amazing quilter teaches a king the value of generosity.

Miss Rumphius also comes to mind, though it's less about her sacrifice and more about her joy of making the world more beautiful.

Enjoy, I'll be curious to hear what you end up doing!

I love the idea of the short story; that would add challenging text for my 7th grader.

Assuming you're talking about the O. Henry, I was actually thinking about your middle schooler when I put that in. I meant to put that in my post, but real-life events intruded, so I just posted the books themselves.