Menu

Another testing question-- on the relative merits of AP exams versus SAT II subject

I am still trying to figure out all this high school testing stuff, so that I can suitably guide my kids in the types of tests that they should take through their high school years. But there is still one question that I haven't been able to answer clearly-- should a student aim to take an equal mix of SAT II subject tests and AP exams, or should one type of test be emphasized over the other?

I ask this because I had thought that the AP was a superior, more difficult test that tested at the college level, and the SAT II subject tests were shorter, easier, and aimed at high school level mastery of material. Case closed, I thought.

But then, I just learned from a dear friend of the family who is heading to Harvard next month as a freshmen, that she hardly took any AP's, and only SAT II subject tests. That was surprising to me. Is it that the SAT II subject tests are graded more precisely (versus the AP with its general 1-5 scale)? So does it differentiated the top students more clearly?

And some schools require two SAT II tests, but I don't believe they require AP tests...

Hmmm, so what does that mean for us "guidance counselors? Do we place more emphasis on the SAT II tests? Just wondering what our seasoned veterans think...

Thanks!

Hello Anne,

I think the decision as to which test (AP or SAT subject or neither) to stress is really going to depend upon the individual student and his or her plans.

My teen has taken three SAT subject tests and three AP courses thus far (with two more AP classes scheduled for next year). She's also taken some community college classes. Some colleges and universities demand a certain number of SAT subject tests whereas others do not require any. No college requires AP exams; however, many ask that a student challenge himself as much as possible. My daughter is planning to apply to a number of colleges which do require SAT subject tests so we look at these as necessary hoops through which to jump. The AP and community college classes are both interest driven and a way of showing her ability to rise to a challenge.

You may find these past two threads worth a look to see how others have answered similar questions in the past. (I see you participated in one.)

See:

AP plus SAT Subject Tests:can you tell me (maybe again, sorry!) WHY ?

and

Follow-up SAT II question: Do you take the SAT II and AP exams in the same area?

Regards,

Kareni

Some colleges require SAT-II's and will not accept any alternatives (like AP's or cc classes, etc.) The colleges say that not all high schools offer AP classes so they cannot compare AP scores across the board, but that since all students can take SAT-II's, they can compare SAT-II scores of students across the board, allowing an apples-to-apples comparison.

Many elite schools require 2 or 3 SAT-II's. Many elite schools that don't "require" them of all applicatns are strongly strongly in favor of hs'ers taking them if you ask about hs'ers and testing (W&M for example). If your child tests well and is going to apply to an elite school I would encourage your child to take some SAT-II's.

SAT-II's test high school level understanding of the material; AP exams are supposed to test college-level understanding of the material. SAT-II's are pretty easy to take right after the corresponding AP exam (AP in May; SAT-II in June).

My kids tried to have either an SAT-II or an AP exam in all major subject areas. Since the college doesn't see senior year AP exams until after acceptance, both my kids ended up with both the SAT-II and the AP for English lit. Dd took both exams for US history since she wanted 5 SAT-II exams. Ds took AP exams in several subject areas where there was no corresponding SAT-II exam (econ; US govt; comp govt), but he did take both the SAT-II and the AP exams for chemistry.

We just tried to have all our bases covered, and we felt that having 5 SAT-II exams covered our bases. The AP exams looked good on college applications, and both of my kids ended up with a fair number of credits from them. (I know, that depends on the college -- W&L is pretty generous with AP exam credit if you get a 5.)

In recent years some of the competitive high schools have dropped AP, while some colleges have limited the number of credits given for AP courses. I cannot help but wonder if someone like your daughter (entering 9th, right?) may witness some philosophical changes at other schools in the years ahead. This is one of things in the back of my mind when I ask if AP is ultimately worth it.

Further I notice that a number of colleges use the SAT subject tests for placement purposes or to justify grades not only from homeschools but unknown schools. When I was a grad student, we were hired to give the math placement test at freshman orientation. Now some schools prefer to see the SAT subject test in subjects like math. Is this a trend that is growing? I don't know.

Personally I think that the best we can do is cover our bases with a bit of AP, some SAT subjects, some CC or local university. That way our students will be prepared for a variety of colleges with different admissions policies.

Good luck.

Jane

Thanks, everyone! It's funny how it takes some time, and some thought (!) to think through all these issues clearly! And since we are committed to starting in an International school in Turkey in September, many of these points are moot; but still, I like to know what we can/should be doing. I see they have a place in Ankara that offers all of these tests (AP, SAT II) so I want to take advantage of such opportunities *if* that sounds like a good plan.

So maybe we'll aim for a few SAT II subject tests, a few AP's and then the full IB diploma program, knowing that our plans could change depending on what this school offers.

Oh well-- I'm sure we'll all be learning quite a bit as we venture into these high school years!

This is a question I have been pondering as well - thanks for the thread! SAT Subject Tests may be more applicable for students taught at home, when they are not taking an AP course. On-line advanced placement courses, I guess, are the most feasible for the eventual AP test.