Menu

I'm wanting to attempt canning / preserving; point me in the right direction!

I want to start canning and preserving fruits, veggies, etc. but I've never done this before. My grandmother did a ton, but she passed away when I was 10, and my mom isn't able to help me, health-wise. What beginner, basic resources should I look to for help? I've put a bunch of books on hold at the library, but wondering if there's a "gold-standard" resource I should be looking for.

Thanks!

Suzanne

Have you tried going to Food Network's website? I would also try Martha Stewart's website. Say what you want about her, but I haven't had anything fail when I have followed her advice. She has these great 101 articles about getting started in one area or another. I am not sure if she has one on canning.

You want the most up-to-date information. Get the Ball Canning book from Wal-Mart (in the canning section)--it will probably cost you around $6. Also, go to your local extension office and ask for their booklets/publications on canning and freezing. These are free, suited to your altitude, and full of safe recipes and instructions. Also, they can answer any questions that you have. I have asked the canning lady at my extension office so many questions!

Buy the Ball Blue Book. It is less than $5.00 and you can fnd it any where you can fnd cannng supplies--Walmart, Target, Farm type stores.:001_smile:

Yes, yes, yes. I had never canned before, and just started this year, and I have used the Ball Blue Book as my reference. It is super easy to follow, and there are a ton of recipes (a recipe for most everything you would want to preserve - canning, freezing, dehydrating, etc.). I've canned peaches and blackberry sauce and blackberry jam, and my friend canned peach jam, and everything has come out great. (Side note: If you don't want super-sweet jam, we used about half as much sugar in each of the jam recipes, and they came out great.)

Thank you all! I finally located a copy of the Ball Blue Book, after going to 5 different places. Strangely, both Target and WalMart didn't have it, as well as two grocery stores and a specialty kitchen supplies store. But, Barnes and Noble does carry it, and I'll be picking it up this afternoon. Also, I have a trip to the local extension office planned for tomorrow when DH will be home with the cowboys. Thanks to each of you for your help - it's just what I was looking for!

Suzanne

And when you get a pressure canner, be sure you get one with a pressure guage where you can read the actual PSI and not a rocking weight. It's been years since we bought one, but I'd use the rocking weight one only at sea level and I'm not too happy with it even then.