Menu

Pulling DD from Public School... What do you Think?

:lurk5:I already homeschool two of my four kids. My oldest is an adult. I'm getting ready to pull my DD15, my baby girl, from public school. My DH's job is such that he's working six weeks on in Indonesia and then three weeks off at home in California. This is DH's last push into retirement (hopefully). I'm 15 years younger than DH.

The reason I want to pull DD from public school is because I made a deal with her father that I would travel to him, and spend the last two weeks of his hitch with him in Jakarta, then we would travel home together. My mother lives about 45 minutes away, and the kids will stay with her while I am gone.

Here's the deal.... I'm feeling guilty for pulling her. She's a straight A student, and has been since 3rd grade.

She's told me repeatedly she can't stand most of her peers, and her teachers constantly assign "group" projects so she feels like an unpaid tutor.

So far I've told her I will take her out of public school on Independent Study for the time I am gone, but there is only so much time she can miss from school on Independent Study. I'm planning to remove her from public school around the Christmas holidays.

She's bent on getting a regionally accredited diploma, so she wants to attend American School along with taking some community college classes along the way.

There is a good chance we may move to Jakarta around June.

Well, I don't see any major problems with that. However, you will still need to file a private school affidavit, or enroll your dd in a PSP (Private School Satellite Program). Enrollment in American School is not a legal option in California as it does not file an affidavit in the state. That it is accredited is irrelevant.

Is your daughter a sophomore? If so, she can take the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE), which is the equivalent of a high school diploma in California, and which would exempt her from having to be enrolled in a California-based private school.

Also, consider this: Community college grads (or those with enough credits to transfer) are guaranteed to be admitted into California State and University of California schools (although they might not get the specific location they want depending on the degree they're working for), at which point high school diplomas are irrelevant.

And this: if your dd takes the CHSPE, she can go to any community college and begin working on her lower division classes right now. (She can attend without the CHSPE, too, but if she has a CHSPE, she would not be limited to how many classes she could take, the way she might as a high school student). If she's such a great student, there's no reason to continue hacking away at high school when she could be earning college credit.

Be careful to not get your dd off her track to college. If she plans to go and stay with you when you move out of the country, then all is well. If she wants to stay in the states and go to college, then if it were me, I would make sure her plans aren't ruined, even if it meant delaying going. I'd check with her and make sure she is free to state her wishes. YMMV

Be careful to not get your dd off her track to college. If she plans to go and stay with you when you move out of the country, then all is well. If she wants to stay in the states and go to college, then if it were me, I would make sure her plans aren't ruined, even if it meant delaying going. I'd check with her and make sure she is free to state her wishes. YMMV

:iagree: In this case, I'd ask her what she wants to do so that she knows she has the choice. If the plans you mentioned she had came from her because she's happy to leave school, then I'd still check out the things Ellie mentioned if you plan to return to CA for college & keep your home there. :001_smile:

Thanks for all the replies!

Ellie - Thanks for mentioning the CHSPE, I had not thought of that. I didn't even know that was an option.

My DD won't be 16 until September (the beginning of 11th grade).

I have discussed the options with her and our plans right now are to withdraw her from pubic school over the Christmas break. Enroll her in American School, have her study and take CLEP tests, and then have her take the CHSPE after she turns 16 (if we are still in the US).

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

If we get the go ahead to move to Indonesia, I wouldn't be leaving her behind. I failed to mention that if we do have to move, my DH's employer would pay for this DD to attend Jakarta International School.

So, you're planning on pulling her out of school at the Christmas break and enrolling her in American School just until the end of this school year? And then if you move to Jakarta in June, she would go to an international school for her last two years of high school? If that's the case, I would actually pull her out now and let her have more time to complete one year of work with American School. What's the point in having her do 6 more weeks of work at public school? The courses at American School are full credit courses; I don't think that she could transfer a half a year of public school work into the course and just finish the last half of the work, if that makes sense. She's better off just getting all of her 10th grade credits from American School. At least that's what I'd do.

So, you're planning on pulling her out of school at the Christmas break and enrolling her in American School just until the end of this school year? And then if you move to Jakarta in June, she would go to an international school for her last two years of high school? If that's the case, I would actually pull her out now and let her have more time to complete one year of work with American School. What's the point in having her do 6 more weeks of work at public school? The courses at American School are full credit courses; I don't think that she could transfer a half a year of public school work into the course and just finish the last half of the work, if that makes sense. She's better off just getting all of her 10th grade credits from American School. At least that's what I'd do.

Thank you for the reply.

I've thought about pulling her out now, but she has three classes (Spanish II, English 10, and Art 1) that will transfer full credit to American School when she completes this semester.

She'll also have two half credits for Women's Fitness and World History, I doubt she would get credit for either of those classes.

Thank you for the reply.

I've thought about pulling her out now, but she has three classes (Spanish II, English 10, and Art 1) that will transfer full credit to American School when she completes this semester.

She'll also have two half credits for Women's Fitness and World History, I doubt she would get credit for either of those classes.

That makes more sense then. What courses will you sign her up for with American School in January?

That makes more sense then. What courses will you sign her up for with American School in January?

I was thinking about enrolling her in their "College Prep" diploma, which seems pretty basic. I haven't had her transcripts evaluated yet, but I think she will only need these classes:

• Psychology
  • Physiology
  • US History
  • Planning your Career
  • American Lit
  • British Lit
  • Social Civics
  • Science Elec Course

She has already completed:

• Algebra 1
  • Geometry
  • English 9
  • English 10 (at the end of the semester)
  • Biology
  • Intro to Computers
  • Spanish 1
  • Spanish 2 (at the end of the semester)
  • Intro to Business/Business Law
  • Art 1 (at the end of the semester)
  • Health

I want her to keep taking math. She's ready for Algebra II. I'm not sure what she's going to do for math. I'm going to have her take the placement test at our local community college. She may end up taking a math class there.

Since we have no experience with American School, I'm not sure if I should sign her up for one year or do the diploma. If we end up moving, she will be enrolled in a private school, but if we end up staying here, she will most likely continue on with American School. One year tuition is $659, and two years $979.

Just for anyone else considering it... The American school college-prep track is pretty light. It is below the minimum graduation standards for public school in many states. If a student is not planning on college or is thinking exclusively of community college, it is going to be a better fit. If you want to keep options open for any kind of selective four year school or scholarship possibilities it may not be your best option.

Just for anyone else considering it... The American school college-prep track is pretty light. It is below the minimum graduation standards for public school in many states. If a student is not planning on college or is thinking exclusively of community college, it is going to be a better fit. If you want to keep options open for any kind of selective four year school or scholarship possibilities it may not be your best option.

I agree. My daughter insists on getting a regionally accredited high school diploma. American School seems like a good option.

My daughter is planning on attending a community college, and then transferring to a state college.

She plans on CLEPing out of some college classes, while she does her American School work. If she does decide to try out for scholarships, couldn't she apply as a homeschooler? Would I be able to list on her transcript her American School courses, the studying she did to pass the CLEP exams, and any community college classes she takes as a high schooler?

I also plan on having her take the CHSPE (Ellie mentioned) after she turns 16, if we are still in California.

Please note the CHSPE does not really have an age limit - just that you have to be doing at least 10th grade work. I know significantly younger kids that have taken it.

Also, check the times/dates for the CHSPE online. It is a 3-hour test with English & Math. DS ran out of time the first test session and therefore failed to pass the math section. We had to pay the full test fee again for him to take the math section of the test, but then he had all 3 hours to work on it.

You do not have to have passed the CHSPE to begin attending community college. If they haven't passed it and are under 16 there are a couple of additional places you have to sign the form as their "counselor." Once they pass the CHSPE, they pay tuition like any other student, even if you are counting it as high school dual enrollment. If they haven't passed the CHSPE, some CC's in CA will waive tuition fees.

All students at the CC take math and english placement tests before enrolling, which will help place her in the appropriate level of math.

Thanks for the info!

I saw on https://www.chspe.net/registration/ that she could take the test at 15 since she is in 10th grade. I have a current Private School Affidavit. If I'm reading correctly, she could take the test? The part about the school official not be a relative, initially made me think she would have to wait until she's 16, but now that I'm rereading it, I looks like she will be able to take the CHSPE?

Is that correct?

To use method B: The School Eligibility Verification Section on your registration form must be completed by one of the following at a California high school: the principal, director, vice principal, counselor, registrar, or site administrator identified on a Private School Affidavit (R-4) or statement in lieu of the Affidavit. The school official may not be a relative unless the school has a current R-4 or statement in lieu of the Affidavit.