Menu

Nice Indian Restaurant in the NYC Theatre District?

No, we can't really afford the trip, but we're doing it, anyway. We'll be in NYC Thanksgiving week to see the parade and a few shows. We're looking for a nice Indian restaurant in or near the Theatre District for dinner on Thanksgiving day. Normally, we'd just wander until we found something, but we don't want to take a chance on things being closed and/or booked because of the holiday, and want to make reservations.

We've been to several on previous trips, but nothing that wowed us.

We're vegans, but do pretty well at mainstream Indian restaurants. Because it will be our holiday meal, I'd like the restaurant to be nice/festive. And I need to make sure it has certain favorites on the menu (chole or channa masala, potato and pea samosas, papadam, onion and mint chutney -- nothing too exotic).

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions for me? Thanks!

That's a tough one -- the theater district isn't really the place for Indian food, as you probably already know.

However, both the NYT and NY Magazine have good restaurant search functions on their websites. I just did a quick search on the NYT one for Indian restaurants in Midtown West and came up with precisely zero results, but nymag.com lists two Indian restaurants in the West 40s. This one looks like it might be pretty good:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/utsav-festive-india-cuisine/

You could also ask on chowhound. com. If anyone is going to have a good answer for you, it would be those folks.

And just FWIW, this is neither Indian nor in the theater district, but Candle Cafe, a vegan place up on the Upper East Side, is one of my all-time favorite restaurants. And I'm not even vegan.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/candle-cafe/

That's a tough one -- the theater district isn't really the place for Indian food, as you probably already know.

However, both the NYT and NY Magazine have good restaurant search functions on their websites. I just did a quick search on the NYT one for Indian restaurants in Midtown West and came up with precisely zero results, but nymag.com lists two Indian restaurants in the West 40s. This one looks like it might be pretty good:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/utsav-festive-india-cuisine/

You could also ask on chowhound. com. If anyone is going to have a good answer for you, it would be those folks.

And just FWIW, this is neither Indian nor in the theater district, but Candle Cafe, a vegan place up on the Upper East Side, is one of my all-time favorite restaurants. And I'm not even vegan.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/candle-cafe/

Yep, we know it's not the best area for Indian. But we're planning to see the parade in the morning, and we have theatre tickets for a 7:00 curtain that evening. So, I'm trying to avoid running my poor husband around more than necessary. (The bad back means he tires easily.)

I'll check the links. Thanks!

I suggest Utsav on 6th Ave between 46th & 47th. It's a bit on the upscale side, friendly and the food's great. As the pp said, Sapphire is good, too, but a bit of a walk from the theater district.

Thanks! When I clicked on one of the links above, my daughter and I immediately recognized the photo of Utsav as a place we'd been and liked a couple of years ago. So, it's now probably the leading contender for us.

Sapphire is either already fully booked or not open on Thanksgiving, according to their online reservation system.

Edited by Jenny in Florida