Menu

Question about prealgebra

I'm giving myself a headache and thought I would ask here. DS is a pretty strong math student. He is currently finishing up SM6A and will do SM6B after that. They are pretty short books and he will finish up sometime in January. It seems that some feel that singapore 6 is a prealgebra equivalent, while others feel that something else is needed.

Since he's finishing 6 halfway through the year, I'm not sure where to go from here. I own LoF prealgebra 1 and was thinking of having him start that. Then I thought to start him on a more traditional prealgebra like Saxon's or Lial's BCM. He gets bored if there is too much review, so I don't want to be going back over the same things over and over.

Then I start thinking about his High School transcripts and wonder how much math he needs to be getting done for those and I get a bigger headache. So, my question seems to be: What should I do after singapore 6? If you care to toss in any suggestions for where to go from here and what your plans are for 7-12 for math, I'm all ears. Goodness, I thought picking a math program was difficult in first grade, this is going to put me in the nuthouse!

Do you know (or have you narrowed down) what you want to use for algebra? Depending on what you use, he might be ready when he finishes 6B.

We haven't used Saxon or LOF at that level, but I think Lial's BCM would be too easy after Singapore 6. Lial also has a "Pre-algebra" which might be a better fit if you go that route.

When my oldest finished Singapore 6, he spent about a month working on a few topics in Lial's Pre-algebra, then moved on to AoPS for algebra (AoPS Pre-algebra wasn't out yet).

I've been researching and I'm narrowing it down to Foerster's, Lial's and Jacobs. I'm glad to hear you echo what I thought when I looked at the scope and sequence of Lial's BCM. That's one I can cross off my list.

I looked at AoPS, but the whole online thing has me frightened off a bit. I think I might need some hand holding to even look at it again.

I've been researching and I'm narrowing it down to Foerster's, Lial's and Jacobs. I'm glad to hear you echo what I thought when I looked at the scope and sequence of Lial's BCM. That's one I can cross off my list.

I looked at AoPS, but the whole online thing has me frightened off a bit. I think I might need some hand holding to even look at it again.

Many people have been able to move directly from SM 6 (or even earlier) directly into Jacobs as it contains a lot of pre-algebra review.

If you decide to go with Lial's, Lial's pre-algebra would be a reasonable choice and certainly wouldn't hurt you if you chose one of the other options (it would just mean you'd accelerate through the pre-algebra sections of Jacobs if you went that way).

Singapore's Discovering Mathematics is another pre-algebra option which would mean continuing in the primary mathematics 'style' for another year.

For AOPS it isn't at all necessary to use the online stuff. Many people choose not to do the online classes as they wish to proceed at a slower pace and/or make time for life interruptions.

My son went from SM 6a&b to AoPS Pre-A. It has been a really nice transition. AoPS Pre-Algebra is a book and answer key, no online required :001_smile: Now, there are videos by the author for each chapter section, but that is just a you tube video. If you can handle that, then you are all set. You don't need to see the videos at all, if you so choose. They are 100% optional. My son loves the videos and chose the program because he liked them so much, so you might want to check them out, lol.

Now, there are online classes. I took a deep breath and enrolled my son in one. Today was the second class. Again, it was actually very, very simple to enroll etc BUT totally optional. It is prob a very small percentage of students to take the class in relation to students who use the book.

I was prob the most nervous about using AoPS than I have ever been about any curriculum. Was it going to be too difficult, what if he couldn't cut it, would it make him hate algebra, would we end up wasting a year...on and on and on. And then I was freaking out about the online class..how did it work, what if we couldn't make it work, what if my son was left in the dust...I am such a good worrier :lol:

I am happy to say that so far, it has been a very positive experience. He is doing fine, working hard in math for the first time. I think he is right at the limit of his comfort zone, but he maintains a good attitude, so it can't be that bad, right?

So, it might not be the right program for your student, but don't let 'the online' part rule it out. There is no online part if you don't want there to be and it will still be 100% of the curriculum.

Now, there are online classes. I took a deep breath and enrolled my son in one. Today was the second class.

How is the online class for your son? I am thinking of enrolling my boy for next summer's class since he might have finish half of pre-algebra book by than.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. He's always done very well with Singapore , so I think my major worry is finding something that will be as good a fit.

RedSquirrel, thank you so much for your explanation of AoPS. I am finding myself both drawn to it and scared to death of it. The pretest for prealgebra is ridiculously simple, but it seems the class is anything but. Since I would like to challenge him without freaking him out, I'm really having a hard time finding what will work.

I am finding myself both drawn to it and scared to death of it.

That's exactly how I was. Then I reminded myself that we could always change if it wasn't a good fit. The videos are lots of fun for my dd. The jokes have carried over into our everyday life. Not sure if I should admit that or not. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck deciding!

How is the online class for your son? I am thinking of enrolling my boy for next summer's class since he might have finish half of pre-algebra book by than.

It has been fine. But, he has only done two, so ask me again in a few weeks.

We live on the east coast, so his class is from 7:30pm to 8:45pm. That has been...not what we would have chosen. They did offer one earlier class this semester, but my son has a commitment at that time. My dh committed to sitting with my son during the class. First of all, he likes math, second of all, my son is a bit of a luddite and if anyone could accidentally exit the class at a prime moment, it is him. So, dh sits next to him and keeps him company. It makes it a little more like a fun thing for my son. My dh doesn't tell him what to write or anything, but he will remind him to hit the 'enter' button. ;)

The classes are all text. We thought it might be a Skype sort of thing, but it isn't. It is all written. We had to create an account with Alcumus. Alcumus is an online AoPS math learning program? environment? I don't know what to call it. You sign up with Alcumus and they give you math problems, lol. Anyway, you attend the class and then you get assigned to to homework via Alcumus (this does require computer time) and you get some challenge problems and some reading in the pre-algebra book. The student is expected to have done all of that before the next class. So, part of what is assigned is applying what was taught (via Alcumus and challenge problems) and part is preparation for what will be taught in the coming lesson(that is the reading and problems in the book).

My son started the class in September and worked through the first two chapters in the book before the class began. The homework and other assignments have kept him busy enough that he is not working ahead any longer. It would just be too much math for him. The class moves at a faster pace than my son was working through the book, so in a week or two the online class will have moved past what my son has done. We will see how it goes after that.

Having the homework has been great for my son. He has had to learn to manage his time and think ahead. Well, my dh and I are pretty much walking him through every single part of that, but that's ok. It is a new experience for him and he has a lot to learn. We are planning to be on top of him at the beginning and back off a bit in the coming weeks. Instead of telling him how to manage the time (do one assignment today and at least one challenge problem because you don't want to be stuck having to do all five challenge problems in one day) we will ask him.