Menu

Question about dry ice and cast iron.

I have two cast iron dutch oven pots. I bought them at a garage sale and they had been spray painted to be used as planters. (I WISH they were still good pots, would have loved them for camping!) One of them looks like a caldron. I would love to put some dry ice in the caldron looking one for Halloween, but I don't want to ruin it.

Can you put dry ice into metal? Will it get so cold as to crack my caldron? Can I put the dry ice into a large yogurt container or bottom half of a milk carton? Would my pot be okay that way?

I've used dry ice before, but never put it into something like this.

Any dry ice experts or super scientists able to answer this for me?

I don't know if you could put it directly into the bottom, but what if you lined the bottom with a couple of inches of straw? I'm betting that would give enough of a buffer.

BTW, I'm thinking if you have a drill you could get a rotary metal brush attachment and get that spray paint off!

Or put a cheap styrofoam cooler (or broken sections of one to trim it to size) inside the pot!

That is a good idea. We have some packing edges from something. I was also thinking of just putting it into a yougurt container on top of a turned over container. That way the 'action' is actually up near the top opening instead of all the way near the bottom.

Are they cast iron without enamel? What I'm asking is... are they coated? If not, I think you can still stick them in a fire and everything will fall off... even the paint.

Well I don't know what is under the paint. That is the problem. But they look just like regular camping style dutch ovens, like the ones with NO enamel. And he painted them both inside and out. Who knows how rusty they are under the paint.

Well I don't know what is under the paint. That is the problem. But they look just like regular camping style dutch ovens, like the ones with NO enamel. And he painted them both inside and out. Who knows how rusty they are under the paint.

I don't really think it matters about the rust. When you just burn it to smitherings and then you just kinda wash it out with some steel wool. It'll be fine.... The worse thing that I guess could happen... is that you'd repaint it ;)