Menu

If your kids have a play kitchen they really like

How tall is it?

My toddler loves the play kitchen at the local toy store, so I'd like to get him one for his upcoming 2nd bday or for Christmas.

I was thinking about this one:

vintage kitchen

But I think this one is so much cuter and would match our playroom better:

gourmet kitchen with fridge

Problem is the one I like better is only 21.6 inches tall, while the vintage one is 33 inches tall. I'm afraid he'll outgrow the smaller one quickly and not want to play with it for long. And the bigger one is about $70 cheaper than the other, smaller, kitchen + fridge.

Did your kids have a play kitchen they played with for several years, and if so, was it a taller one?

Edited by Annie Laurie

Get the taller one. My DD would still play with hers if she hadn't out-grown it at the age of seven!

THis is the one we have - http://www.ragsland.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RAG&Product_Code=XSWST0009F5&Category_Code=ARLSTORE_0804 . It's got no sign of wear or tear on it. The knobs turn and the door opens, the plastic lets the kid check and see how things are "cooking". The door is so solidly built that she stood on it a few times and never did it break.

My advice would be to get a stove, fridge, and cupboard. My DD never wanted a sink. Also, play wooden food that can be "cut". The Melissa and Doug stuff had the paint wear off pretty quickly along the edges.

We had and sold the vintage one (ours was cherry red/chrome). It was fine for plastic food and smaller pans but we prefer wood food and most of the items were too big. The cookies sheet didn't fit in the oven and other foods that come in trays were too big. DD5 is pretty tall and this kitchen was really small for her size.

We liked this one better. (I am getting ready to sell it if anyone is Portland Or/Vancouver Wa is interested.)

It worked great with the wooden Mellisa and Doug food. It is big enough for more than one child and can be played with when they are older/taller.

Get the taller one. My DD would still play with hers if she hadn't out-grown it at the age of seven!

That's what I figured, it's better to be able to grow into it a little. I love the wooden food, I still have the older kid's play food from Ikea and Melissa & Doug, but I really want to add some Haba food this time.

We had and sold the vintage one (ours was cherry red/chrome). It was fine for plastic food and smaller pans but we prefer wood food and most of the items were too big. The cookies sheet didn't fit in the oven and other foods that come in trays were too big. DD5 is pretty tall and this kitchen was really small for her size.

We liked this one better. (I am getting ready to sell it if anyone is Portland Or/Vancouver Wa is interested.)

It worked great with the wooden Mellisa and Doug food. It is big enough for more than one child and can be played with when they are older/taller.

Good to know, thank you! I hadn't thought about the food not fitting.

We made our own for dd's second birthday out of second hand finds. She needed a stool then and still plays with it a lot at age 7, no stool.

That's a great idea too. I'm not up for doing it myself right now, but I've seen some really cute homemade kitchens, and using recycled/found things is definitely a huge benefit to that. Now, if only my toddler would let me sleep, then maybe I could attempt it.