Menu

Moms in Brazil?

Thank you!

I've been reading The Reader's blog and getting a bunch of info for my friend. I'm curious as to how much it cost to furnish an apartment. They will have 5 children and are moving to the Mato Grosso do Sul region. Her husband has Brazilian citizenship and I think the kids will as well. They will have a small income due to this being a missionary situation.

In Latin America it is very common to buy things used. For new, just like in the US, there are different types of stores in different price ranges, and you learn as you go. If you know anyone down there, it would be best that you get help looking around for the best prices.

I have been in Mexico nearly 9 years, and I could furnish an apartment with a lot less money today than I could have then. Simply from knowing the area more. My step mother is from Brazil, and says things are pretty much the same there. You can buy two identical things, and pay a fortune at one place, and pennies on the dollar somewhere else.

Danielle

Hi, just saw this. I'm not too familiar with that area, but if her husband is Brazilian he will likely be able to search out places to find used furniture; that would be the way to go. New furniture is crazy expensive. When we moved down, (not missionary) we were given $6000 US which at the time was about $10000 BR to furnish our apartment. It did not stretch to all the furniture, BUT we were new, didn't know a thing, and the company directed us to top-of-the-line furniture stores.

The biggest expense will be appliances --- $4000 BR of our $$$ went to a stove, refrigerator, washer & dryer. I splurged on the washer/dryer and got the best we could (within a certain threshold) and skimped and got the tiniest stove & refrigerator that would serve our needs. But still, 40% of our allotment went to appliances.

It is possible to buy used, though, so if they know to look for that, they should be okay. There are stores all over the place that sell used, so it is not too difficult to find.

Some things are crazy expensive though -- if they are bringing over anything, they should focus on bringing over plastics. Trash cans, plastic storage totes (maybe pack in those and use as luggage?), etc. All that kind of thing is crazy pricey (a simple under-bed-storage tote is about $100 BR/$50 US here....). Normal furniture is not quite as marked up as that, and again, shop used. But for some reason, anything plastic is insanely expensive. Oh, and bring all their clothes hangers. No lie. Cost is just nuts here. ($10 BR/$5 US for a pack of 6 hangers. Seriously).

On the hs'ing.....that is getting trickier, but people are still doing it. Good luck to them! We enrolled our oldest 2 in an on-line program this year, so I am only still hs'ing my youngest.

P.S. - I've recently added back a Contact Me button/page on my blog, and it has my blog email address; if you have more questions you can pop over there and email me (or, it's musingsonthemove (at) gmail (dot) com) as I don't always see replies in threads (but I'll try to follow this one just in case).

Thanks! I directed her to your blog. I'm so glad to hear you can buy used. She was told you had to get everything new!What about clothes? She was told that it is very looked down on to get hand me downs. Also what about cars? They will have to get one there and I've heard they are crazy expensive.

Edited by JenC3

Thanks! I directed her to your blog. I'm so glad to hear you can buy used. She was told you had to get everything new!What about clothes? She was told that it is very looked down on to get hand me downs. Also what about cars? They will have to get one there and I've heard they are crazy expensive.

I haven't really seen clothes used; I do of course pass down my own kids' clothes, but I haven't found a source for buying used clothes like a thrift shop or anything. Well, correction, I know one place in my city, and we live in a city of population 1 million (or a little more).

Cars, even used, are very expensive. They hold their value well. We only have one vehicle (provided by DH's company/employer) because it is cheaper for me to use a taxi to go anywhere vs. own our own car. I'd have to go into town more than 4x/week (30 min drive/$80 taxi ride to go to/from) in order to equal the cost of owning a car. Although getting financing for buying a car is difficult as well (though easier since her DH is Brazilian).

We do buy most of the kids' clothes in the US once/year and bring over; cheaper to do that & better quality on most things than to buy here. I buy my clothes here, though; I've found some shops that are decent priced.