Menu

biomes and landforms - ideas?

MrsH

We'd planned to do the BFSU lesson on biomes and landforms this week, but the way it's described in BFSU would really not work for us, partially b/c dd is already 10 and not into looking through magazines for pictures, and partially because the lesson is based on the variety that comes from having 20 kids bring in pictures, not just the one.

What have others used? The problem is that she doesn't really know what landforms are (as evidenced by several map assignments this year), and I have to admit I'd never heard the word "biomes" before reading the manual last night. I'd love to spend some time on this with her, but really need some resources!

The video series "Biomes of the World in Action" http://www.libraryvideo.com/product.asp?mscssid=QKH8LA4M80XP8KV6WQ176P1Q39PKFESA&sku=V7070

is a great series. Also here is a site to print out pictures and definitions of various landforms. Haven't tried it though...

http://www.montessorimom.com/montessori-geography/

If you search "webquest landforms" or Webquest biomes you should get lots of great lesson plans.

I teach this topic more indepth than probably any other science topic. Simple schooling has some cheap pdfs. The later volumes of Draw Write Now are my favorite resource. Eyewitness and Bill Nye DVD's. Free Vintage geographies from Google Books. Rod and Staff grade 4 geography. National Geographic Beginner's Atlas.

Love all the resources, THANK YOU!

I'm going to spend another week on crystallization (to practice and outline and see whether we can get our sugar crystals to do anything...!) and then start this next week, after I've had a chance to actually check out these resources more in-depth. That means if anyone has any more, let me know!

I teach this topic more indepth than probably any other science topic. Simple schooling has some cheap pdfs. The later volumes of Draw Write Now are my favorite resource. Eyewitness and Bill Nye DVD's. Free Vintage geographies from Google Books. Rod and Staff grade 4 geography. National Geographic Beginner's Atlas.

What are your reasons for this? I was almost ready to skip it but am willing to stand corrected!

What are your reasons for this? I was almost ready to skip it but am willing to stand corrected!

I've always taught more geography than any other content subject. I focused on skills not content. I don't know if I'm "right" of if there is even such a thing as "right" but I found it very interesting to learn that the Amish and the vintage teacher manuals recommend/ed the 3R's then geography, then health, then history, then science, in that order of priority.

At most junior colleges and some non-selective smaller, nutrition and environmental science are the only science required. There are AP geography and environmental science tests.

I've homeschooled in some pretty tough circumstances and tutored some challenged students. Focusing on the overlap of geography and environmental science just came naturally and was rewarded. :tongue_smilie:

The author of BFSU first wrote a junior college environmental science textbook, and the elementary books are heavily influenced by what he wished his arriving students to know. You can go straight from BFSU to AP Environmental Science.