Menu

Wendi, anyone: Neurofeedback methods?

I'm reading about this a bit, and looks like there are a whole bunch of ways to do it. There are different software packages (BrainTrain, Brain Master, etc.), but some people have the kid watch regular videos or dvds instead. And there's also something called LENS that emits some kind of emf or radio frequency, trying to stimulate the brain. That seems creepy, but whatever.

http://www.resourcenter.net/Scripts/4Disapi6.dll/4DCGI/resctr/search.html I found this search engine for people supposedly certified, and it breaks it down with labels that don't match the software either. (thermal, EEG, etc.) It suggests you find someone up to date, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to KNOW if you have someone up to date, kwim?

I don't have any direct knowledge or experience with any of the software or other "at home" therapies. I suspect they would not produce the same results as going to a trained psychologist, but I don't know for sure. And I understand they are cheaper than going to a professional.

My son did neurofeedback for several months, and felt he had definite improvement in his ability to focus. He also said his brain is "calmer". He is doing better with his schoolwork. The doctor did a qEEG at the beginning (showing significant theta waves in the front of the brain, an indicator of ADHD). He monitored how things were going, asked us for feedback at each appointment, and focused the treatment on different areas of the brain depending on how things were going. He did another qEEG later, which did show some improvement.

Wendi

I don't have any direct knowledge or experience with any of the software or other "at home" therapies. I suspect they would not produce the same results as going to a trained psychologist, but I don't know for sure. And I understand they are cheaper than going to a professional.

My son did neurofeedback for several months, and felt he had definite improvement in his ability to focus. He also said his brain is "calmer". He is doing better with his schoolwork. The doctor did a qEEG at the beginning (showing significant theta waves in the front of the brain, an indicator of ADHD). He monitored how things were going, asked us for feedback at each appointment, and focused the treatment on different areas of the brain depending on how things were going. He did another qEEG later, which did show some improvement.

Wendi

So how do you know if you have a *good* neurofeedback provider? Was your ds watching a train or dvds or something different? I think I'm seeing differences in the providers as far as how they do it, like different schools of thought or something. So yes, I meant through a provider. I just don't know how to compare the people I'm finding on the lists in my state, kwim?

If you can pm me your approximate location, I may be able to offer a recommendation or two. My NF therapist is pretty well connected.

IMHO, don't worry too much about the exact details of how treatment is provided. Choose instead someone who does QEEG based neurofeedback and has years of experience (or works directly under someone who does). Treatment modalities will vary depending on your child's specific needs. There are different "client interfaces" for neurofeedback...my twins did one that looked like PacMan and another that was a space ship of some sort, I did one that resembled an island receding into the distance...there are a lot of them. They are just a client interface...what you see as your brain interacts with the computer. What the therapist is doing behind the scenes in terms of setting the computer thresholds and placing the sensors is what is important. Other things like the LENS treatment, interactive metronome, etc., may be used depending on the individual's needs.

The course of treatment should begin with a good measure of the brain and its function...the QEEG. Those who are not using it are often those with the least training and experience...your NF there would be much less targeted, more general in nature and more akin to traditional biofeedback than deep neurofeedback for the brain. It has its place, but not for most of our kids. Special needs kids really need a good QEEG to determine exactly what is going on inside the brain...we are not just trying to achieve peak performance here but rather repair something. Oh, and I second doing it in office with a neuropsychologist...at home programs are fine for peak performance but will not produce the deep results of in office NF. There may be some who recommend at home programs as a supplement or follow up, but if you can go for the real thing, you will see faster, longer lasting results.

Your site is a good place to look for a provider. There are also good lists in the back of some of the best NF books...I have several that I'd be happy to check for you. If you have any other questions, pls pm me and I'll jump back in here. Having a tough week with DH traveling and I will be on sporadically this week.

Edited by Twinmom

So tell me about the practitioner you've found. As I'm googling here, I'm seeing a lot of varieties (Brain Train, Brain Master, other types, blah blah). Seems like some do a QEEG first and some don't. Is yours going to do a QEEG first? And is the $7K reflecting part of that cost?
The neurofeedback clinic in Canada I'm considering is called The ADD Centre. The director is
, who is the author of both ADHD and neurofeedback books.

The assessment takes 3.5-4 hours, which includes a single-channel EEG and written report ($880). In complex problems, a 19 channel EEG may be recommended for accurate assessment and training recommendations (I think an extra $950).

Tools used include Low Resolution Electromagnetic Tomography (Loreta), 8 channel Thought-Tech Infiniti, and training in the use of metacognitive strategies, which sounds great for DD since she probably also has dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia in addition to ADHD. Each 50-minute training session costs $125, so 40 sessions over 5 months plus assessments would cost around $6830.

Does anybody else on the forum have neurofeedback experiences to share for those of us who are seriously considering this "Level 1 - Best Support" intervention for ADHD?

• 4 months later...

The neurofeedback clinic in Canada I'm considering is called The ADD Centre. The director is

, who is the author of both ADHD and neurofeedback books.

The assessment takes 3.5-4 hours, which includes a single-channel EEG and written report ($880). In complex problems, a 19 channel EEG may be recommended for accurate assessment and training recommendations (I think an extra $950).

Tools used include Low Resolution Electromagnetic Tomography (Loreta), 8 channel Thought-Tech Infiniti, and training in the use of metacognitive strategies, which sounds great for DD since she probably also has dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia in addition to ADHD. Each 50-minute training session costs $125, so 40 sessions over 5 months plus assessments would cost around $6830.

Does anybody else on the forum have neurofeedback experiences to share for those of us who are seriously considering this "Level 1 - Best Support" intervention for ADHD?

Hi there,

I am wondering if you started the neurofeedback?

I wanted to share that my ds who is 13, he did the neurofeedback. He did well. We were told because of how severe is ADHD was, he may need 80 sessions. He was on 72 mg of concerta at the start.

After 20 sessions it was summer holidays from school, we took him off the meds. He has not gone back on meds. We are now at 62 sessions and could probably stop but we will go to 80. It has helped him tremendously. Yes, he is not perfect and can still be impulsive. But he is managing decently without meds.

I never thought I would be possible.

When we started, my GOAL was to lower his meds,I never thought he would of off completely.

How do you people afford it??? The local provider here wants $100/session and wats him to do 3 sessions/week! Once I week I could possibly do down the road even though it is an hour each way but $300/week? Not a chance.

We have spent about $10 000 when it's all done. We afford it the same way people afford other things like braces etc. I know some people can't afford it. It's not easy for us either. But we make a decent income and basically stopped putting money into savings, plus I am trying to work a bit extra. When spouse gets a bonus, we put it towards that. Takes some maneuvering but somehow we make it work.

We have scaled back on other things too.

Now son only goes once weekly so it's much easier. Before was was 2 or 3 times a week, that was costly. But we knew it was temporary.

It was admitted to us that it would be an experimental treatment in the "complex" case of DD; it would probably take 80-100 sessions up to 12 months. It seems only prudent that we try other interventions first, including brainwave-related such as Focus Pocus, DAVID ALERT, Play Attention and/or mindfulness/yoga. If all of the many interventions we are trying continue to NOT significantly help her :crying: by the end of this school year, we'll have to decide when to try the $10,000+ experiment.

We have spent about $10 000 when it's all done.