Menu

Dr. Hive-Kiddo fell at the skating rink . . .

My ds10 fell on his hand/wrist at the skating rink and continued to skate, but came over and complained of pain several times.

We just got home and I had a good look at it. The outside edge of the wrist near the little bone that juts out is slightly swollen and the outside edge of his hand just above the wrist has turned slightly blue/purple. When it's stationary, he says the pain is at the outside edge of his hand near the wrist, but when he moves it he says the wrist hurts as well. He is playing a computer game and is able to manipulate his fingers on the keyboard, but isn't moving the wrist at all.

I generally take a "wait and see" approach before heading out to the minor emergency clinic (we have great insurance, so it's not a big issue), but the discoloration worries me a bit.

What do you think? Also, as a child, I seemed prone to hairline fractures; one from this very same scenario.

If it bothered him, I'd have it checked. I would call the orthopedist and ask if they could squeeze you in this afternoon for a possible wrist fracture, or see if they have an after hours walk-in clinic. My ds has broken a few bones and every.single.one has been missed by the urgent care and emergency room!

(My ds got a cast off today, so I'm pretty familiar with the ortho, now!)

The only way they can tell is with an x-ray. Although wrist fractures can be tricky, so make sure you see someone who knows what they're doing, and has experience with trauma in children. If you don't have an orthopedic surgeon, the emergency room of a children's hospital is a good choice.