Menu

MFW Adventures - Ideas Needed

Juliegmom

We live overseas and will be taking a 2 month furlough to Southern California in December. Unfortunately, I will need to leave my MFW curriculum behind and we will be focusing on the 3 R's. Can the Hive help me come up with some ideas to take advantage of some opportunities while we are in California that will help support what we are learning? We will definitely be taking advantage of the library and going to the museum. I'm also thinking of doing one of Evan Moor's History pockets and having my dd write a letter to the president. Any other ideas would be appreciated! :001_smile:

We live overseas and will be taking a 2 month furlough to Southern California in December. Unfortunately, I will need to leave my MFW curriculum behind and we will be focusing on the 3 R's. Can the Hive help me come up with some ideas to take advantage of some opportunities while we are in California that will help support what we are learning? We will definitely be taking advantage of the library and going to the museum. I'm also thinking of doing one of Evan Moor's History pockets and having my dd write a letter to the president. Any other ideas would be appreciated! :001_smile:

You could take the note book page for the California Gold Rush, the state sheet for California, and look at the weeks of ADV for California & the Gold Rush and make them part of your time in that state. It might make it out of chronological order for that subject, but then when you came to the Gold Rush later you could remember doing it while being in the state of California. It was the first state added to the union that far west; perhaps that fact could tie in too somehow. Perhaps California field trips could make that one state quite in-depth for your ADV state study.

Do you have an e-reader? Amanda Bennett has great week long interactive units that you can do on a e-reader. Her units have youtube videos, etc. They are packed full and are fun! She has some on sale today for $3 and will have new sales tomorrow for a birthday celebration if you want to check them out. http://www.unitstudy.com/Specials.html What's nice is you can do them without extra books if you need to.

I'm not sure how helpful this response will be, but we also live overseas and will take a 4-month furlough next year in the middle of our school year, and I'm planning on trying not to homeschool while in America. I'm going to work hard before and after the break to get school done. (I'm also planning on starting with MFW Adventures in a little over a year from now. :)) We'll just do US activities with the kids that we can't enjoy over here--zoo, museums, library, pumpkin patch, Medieval Times, whatever we can fit in along with completing our business tasks and visiting with family and friends. I may print out a worksheet from Math Mammoth once in a while to keep math fresh, and I may borrow or check out from the library little readers to keep reading fresh as well. I also may tear out some of the handwriting pages, not sure yet. But I don't want to tote curriculum back and forth if it's already on this side, when we'll be so busy anyway, and I want every spare pound in the suitcases for the way back!