Menu

Typing instruction for a six year old

meggie

Is it an exercise in futility? Is there even a program out there that is meant for a child this young?

Pigby is doing a lot more work on the computer, so I figured it might be helpful to move him beyond the hunt and peck method. Just wondering if I should wait or if it's a good idea (and what program to use). Thanks:bigear:

You can try Dance Mat Typing (free).

My oldest wasn't developmentally ready to learn proper typing at age 6. We tried. His fingers just couldn't do it. Now at 8, he's ready, though it's still slow going. We're no where near being ready to type a paragraph or anything.

I asked this a while ago, and got some good responses: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=429555

And here are my reviews:

The BBC one looked great for slightly older kids, but my 5yo didn't quite get it. She did the first level, but didn't really understand what was going on and her hands were still a bit small to to the finger reaching. A 6yo might have better luck.

I bought the Easy Tech curriculum (it was only about $12, so it was worth a shot) and it teaches where each letter key is, as opposed to proper keyboarding. Which was pretty perfect for my 5yo. It's kind of a bare bones program visually, and I think I don't fully understand their website, but it seemed like an interesting curriculum that teaches all about computer safety and simple computer skills.

The paper keyboarding chart that someone recommends in that thread looks amazing, but I didn't want to spend that much.

There were a few other suggestions, but some looked to be for kids who are a bit older or a bit more able to sit and follow directions that seem arbitrary and weird at first.

My DD loves Nessy Fingers ( another UK product. I think there's something about the narrator's accent that's reassuring to her-and she's also a Loch Ness Monster fanatic, so having Nessy as a recurring character appeals). She started it at age 6 or so, and has improved a lot.

My oldest played with the BBC Dancing Mat website when he was about 5 and 6. He liked it. We'll still work on it occasionally. I wouldn't call it an exercise in futility, but I also wouldn't put undue pressure on a 6 year old to do it properly. Think of it as exposure at that age. Keep it playful and fun and if they like it, they'll practice and get better. If they don't, maybe they're not developmentally ready yet. Try another year.

I could be wrong, but I think 6 is too young to teach typing. Most kids that age probably don't have the dexterity to type the way they should. I also wouldn't want it to become a crutch where they type things instead of writing them and their handwriting doesn't improve. I'm not even sure why a 6 yr old could would need to type much? :confused:

I had typing class in middle school and I think that was just right because it's when you're starting to write more lengthy work and typing skills become useful. They also have the ability to sit up straight, feet on the floor, looking straight ahead, and have hands big enough and dexterous enough to learn typing the way it should be. I plan to teach my kids around 7th grade. Otherwise, I'd be afraid they'd develop bad typing habits to make up for lack of dexterity, finger-reach, ability to sit up with feet on the floor, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

A friend just passed me this link from her dd's kindergarten teacher.

With my olders we used Dance Mat and they liked it, but for them 6/7 was (almost?) too early. It took about 1/2 hour to do each level, and it was a chore to get to the end.

But both are FREE, so you aren't out anything if it doesn't work out. Also, despite any reinforcement or further training, ds and dd use correct hand positions on the keyboard - although they still have to look at the keyboard often.

My oldest wasn't developmentally ready to learn proper typing at age 6. We tried. His fingers just couldn't do it. Now at 8, he's ready, though it's still slow going. We're no where near being ready to type a paragraph or anything.

:iagree:

Read, Write, Type is actually written for that age range and it reinforces phonics. :)

:iagree: I really like the varied exercises of RWT. For a 6yo, I would certainly "count" it as spelling and typing...and phonics review.

http://www.talkingfingers.com

We also enjoy dance mat typing. In fact, my 6yo just spent a chunk of time on it today. I think Dance Mat is easier, fwiw. Same 6yo gets a bit frustrated with RWT, but I'm hoping that the time on Dance Mat will ease him into RWT. My dd had no problems with RWT at 6yo though. Different kids.

I could be wrong, but I think 6 is too young to teach typing. Most kids that age probably don't have the dexterity to type the way they should. I also wouldn't want it to become a crutch where they type things instead of writing them and their handwriting doesn't improve. I'm not even sure why a 6 yr old could would need to type much? :confused:

Just my 2 cents.

Mine aren't typing instead of handwriting and copywork. They don't do many other computer games so typing is a treat.

Typing takes less dexterity than printing or cursive. It's OK to wait, but I don't see any reason not to take an early and gentle beginning.

Thank you. I tried it out this morning, he heard and wanted to try. He did the hunt and peck thing some more. I know his fingers aren't dexterous enough and probably are too short, but I guess I'm hoping he'll at least learn the letter placement so it doesn't take so long. Maybe? I dunno.

I asked this a while ago, and got some good responses: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=429555

And here are my reviews:

The BBC one looked great for slightly older kids, but my 5yo didn't quite get it. She did the first level, but didn't really understand what was going on and her hands were still a bit small to to the finger reaching. A 6yo might have better luck.

I bought the Easy Tech curriculum (it was only about $12, so it was worth a shot) and it teaches where each letter key is, as opposed to proper keyboarding. Which was pretty perfect for my 5yo. It's kind of a bare bones program visually, and I think I don't fully understand their website, but it seemed like an interesting curriculum that teaches all about computer safety and simple computer skills.

The paper keyboarding chart that someone recommends in that thread looks amazing, but I didn't want to spend that much.

There were a few other suggestions, but some looked to be for kids who are a bit older or a bit more able to sit and follow directions that seem arbitrary and weird at first.

Thank you!

My DD loves Nessy Fingers ( another UK product. I think there's something about the narrator's accent that's reassuring to her-and she's also a Loch Ness Monster fanatic, so having Nessy as a recurring character appeals). She started it at age 6 or so, and has improved a lot.

Thank you!

My oldest played with the BBC Dancing Mat website when he was about 5 and 6. He liked it. We'll still work on it occasionally. I wouldn't call it an exercise in futility, but I also wouldn't put undue pressure on a 6 year old to do it properly. Think of it as exposure at that age. Keep it playful and fun and if they like it, they'll practice and get better. If they don't, maybe they're not developmentally ready yet. Try another year.

Nope, no undue pressure here. He finished the first level on his own.

Read, Write, Type is actually written for that age range and it reinforces phonics. :)

Thank you, I will look into that.

I had typing class in middle school and I think that was just right because it's when you're starting to write more lengthy work and typing skills become useful. They also have the ability to sit up straight, feet on the floor, looking straight ahead, and have hands big enough and dexterous enough to learn typing the way it should be. I plan to teach my kids around 7th grade. Otherwise, I'd be afraid they'd develop bad typing habits to make up for lack of dexterity, finger-reach, ability to sit up with feet on the floor, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

He already writes for WWE and cursive practice. He also writes plenty of notes to relatives, colors for science and history, creates his own little comic books, and other creative endeavors. I'm not worried about his handwriting; I think it's coming along pretty well. But I can get more....not sure of the right words...academic thought? I've recently taken over writing his math answers and having him do his spelling words and sentences on the computer. His brain does hit that wall as quickly and we can get more done.

A friend just passed me this link from her dd's kindergarten teacher.

With my olders we used Dance Mat and they liked it, but for them 6/7 was (almost?) too early. It took about 1/2 hour to do each level, and it was a chore to get to the end.

But both are FREE, so you aren't out anything if it doesn't work out. Also, despite any reinforcement or further training, ds and dd use correct hand positions on the keyboard - although they still have to look at the keyboard often.

Thank you!

My 6 yo DS *loves* Typing Instructor for Kids. He can play games using just the keys he has learned so far, and when he feels comfortable with them he can learn a couple more. He loves the games, and I like that it tracks his WPM and accuracy (including for the games), and so I can easily see the results later and monitor his progress. It has been very effective for him!