Menu

Type 2 Diabetes - Before / After treatment

Total night and day.

Before - no worries, ate what I wanted when I wanted, although had weight issues my whole life and spent much of that time dieting.

After - total dietary change. Am now eating LCHF. I've gotten used to the change in diet and don't have food cravings any more. But, my biggest issue is convenience. I can't just go out and buy pre-made items. Most everything I eat I have to make from scratch. Because I work full-time, this is an issue. Once I packed up all the foods I can't eat anymore (flour, sugar, rice, quinoa, etc. - they're still available in the garage for dd and dh to use) and replaced them with items I can cook with, it made things a bit easier. Just a bit. I don't go out to eat very often, but can usually find something I can eat. I hate spending the money on restaurants, though, because I don't ever really feel satisfied and that the cost is worth the food.

It's definitely been a journey and a learning experience. And, I'm continuing to figure things out everyday. That is definitely something major about diabetes. You think that you've got things figured out and then your body responds differently.

Dd cooks for herself and dh 3 times a week. I cook for myself every night. If dd and dh want what I cook the other 4 nights a week, they're welcome to it. But, for the most part, they have something else. Although there are some things I make for myself that they really like. I'm constantly trying new recipes. Thank god there are a lot of LC recipe bloggers out there or I probably would have failed at this months ago.

I continue to dislike having to monitor my bs every single day. I'm lucky that by changing my diet my A1c went from 12.7 to 6.2 in 6 months. I'm trying to get it lower. But, I want to avoid additional drugs (just metformin right now) or insulin.

If I had it to do over again, I would have put my family on a low carb way of eating years ago. Diabetes is not fun.

Do you have any specific questions?

I don't have diabetes but I did test pre-diabetic. I tried diet and I tried excercise separately because I wanted to find out how each of these factors affected my sugar levels. For me, what made the biggest difference was exercise, so that is what I am focusing on. I didn't have any other issues except elevated sugar levels and they are now down to normal range.

Yep, I have every question possible out there...but since you illustrated the food issue within the home, let me ask you if you had a magic genie all things food in the house ( I do own a kitchen fairy, long story) - to serve you, what would the ideal support be like?

Just sit and be served and relax and not have to think twice about it?

I think the most alarming symptom is fatigue & random brain fog around here, which of course spills into every other aspect of life..but that's another issue stemming straight off routine/food/work/life.

My experience is a little different from Stacy's. YMMV.

Before diagnosis, I felt horrible. All.The.Time. Tired, sick,grumpy. Finally, I developed a blood clot in my leg and ended up in the ER where they checked my blood sugar levels. Over 350 - no wonder I felt terrible!

After diagnosis and beginning treatment: I immediately felt better once my sugar levels came down. Seriously - not so tired, more cheerful, really felt like a new me. I have energy to exercise and do things with my family again.

My blood sugar levels are well controlled - my A1c is just over 5. I take metformin twice a day and an insulin shot at night to control my early morning fasting levels. I eat low carb all the time. I don't cook a separate meal - we just modified our normal meals to include more good low-carb veggie sides and added in some good low-carb options like eating omelets for dinner. I read package labels on everything and avoid eating the things that mess up my blood sugar. But I don't deny myself - if I really WANT that ice cream, I have 1/2c of excellent high-quality ice cream. The trick is portion control to keep the carb count under what my body can handle (under 20g at a meal, 10 at a snack). My rule is to never eat a cheap dessert :D.

Best thing I did - visit a nutritionist for a consultation on changing my diet. I really knew nothing about low carb. You can PM me if you like.

ETA: we do eat out frequently. I eat my hamburgers without the bun, order good veggies instead of potatos, and avoid certain pasta restaurants that don't have a good salad or grilled/baked chicken alternative. Once you get the knack of what foods are LCHF, it really isn't that bad. I love to go out for steak or grilled seafood!

Edited by AK_Mom4

Yep, I have every question possible out there...but since you illustrated the food issue within the home, let me ask you if you had a magic genie all things food in the house ( I do own a kitchen fairy, long story) - to serve you, what would the ideal support be like?

Just sit and be served and relax and not have to think twice about it?

It's funny that you mention this. Just the other night I told my dh that if we had a choice and had the money, I'd hire a home chef. I LOVE to cook, I LOVE to browse and collect recipes. But, this has been hard for me. The foods I'm using now are just not something I've ever used before and I'm not familiar enough with how they work to be able to create my own recipes or be able to just throw something tasty together. I would love it if a chef could at least make the basics that I try to keep on hand so that I can put my meals together. And, there are so many recipes that I'd like to try and just don't have the time to make (I'm home sick today, normally I wouldn't be online or at home during the day) that it would be great to have someone who could make the recipes for me so that I could try them. I hate wasting ingredients (and these ingredients are expensive) and I've made a few duds the last few months. I'd also love it if there was an awesome LCHF chef who could cook for me and TEACH me how to do this well since this is the way I will need to eat for the rest of my life.

I think that occasionally I would like someone who would do the planning and cooking and allow me to "just sit and be served and relax and not have to think twice about it".

I do agree it's not impossible to eat out, but I guess for me the mentality with eating out has always been that it's a treat and I don't think about the crap I'm eating. I don't want a bunless burger. It's not pleasant to eat. Yes, I love a good steak with some veggies, but that's always the most expensive thing on the menu. So that is why I avoid eating out much. We eat out maybe once every 2 months. So I do eat whatever I want. Eating higher carb once every 2 months seems just fine to me.

Wow, that's great that you're able to do this! I wish I could.

I'm with you about the bunless burger, etc. I just don't want to pay for that kind of stuff. And, I'm a diabetic who still can't stray off my way of eating. I'm hoping to eventually have great control (I really want to get my a1c down into the low 5s if not the 4s), but I'm still in the 6s and that's just not low enough yet for me to feel comfortable eating anything carby. My bs would spike and it would probably take me several days to get it down to somewhat normal levels. I have no idea how long I was diabetic before diagnosis. It was a fluke that I was even diagnosed. I was diagnosed in February, thought that if I gave up carbs I'd be in control within a couple of weeks to a month. I was very naive. It didn't happen. I'm just going to keep plugging away.

:grouphug:

It all "sounds" simple enough, but I know it isn't. I watched my mother struggle for years. And the information out there is so mixed.

But, if I had to be a diabetic, I'm glad that it's now and not even a few years ago. There is so much information available now. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had access to it all. I probably would have ended up going the sure-to-fail route of diabetic nutrition counseling and eating 45 carbs per meal. :tongue_smilie:

Oh and another thing, I am reminded of how difficult it all is when I go on vacation. Now usually when I go I don't even worry about it because I know it's impossible. This past time I went away for a few days. The hotel had breakfast included. That consisted of bagels, waffles, muffins, or pancakes. That's a perfectly average/normal/typical offering. But it's HORRID for someone on LC. There is no way to work with that. In fact, I didn't even cheat and have that because eating any one of those things will make me feel awful the rest of the day. Then at the concert I went to, they have snacks. There is absolutely nothing within the realm of low carb. And then there is nothing I can bring with me besides funky stuff like Slim Jim or shelf stable pepperoni that can last for a day or two. You don't even think about stuff like that until you are there in that situation.

Ugh, I can so relate to what you've been saying in this thread. Eating out is a treat. Buying a steak or bunless burger with one or two low carb veggies that are usually microwaved and gross is NOT my idea of a treat. It feels more like torture. I'd love to be able to go on vacation and enjoy that aspect of food again instead of lugging around coolers of stuff I've had to make ahead of time so I'm not eating slim jims and cashews from the gas station because I'm famished and desperate.

I do all the shopping and cooking, and it is way past the needle mark of high carb. So a whole new routine of cooking is laying on the horizon.

There is no way on Gods Green Earth there'll be foods running amok for three different eating styles, so on that note, what types of ethnic foods or menus work well for low carb. I am totally newbie to the boundary lines, is there any that match for this condition?

I was reading over on the American Diabetes site- there seems to be some pretty straightforward information there.

Any book titles to recommend?

I don't want to come across as smothering, bossy or rigid in being helpful or curious either; just want to be supportive without being overbearing or drilling.

When a person is under psychological adjustment/stress, how much do you think that aspect plays into healthy levels? I don't seem to have any bewilderment on physical stress-that seems pretty cut and dried..I'm just wondering how much brain chemistry (in a scientific sense) plays a part.

Any book titles to recommend?

I don't want to come across as smothering, bossy or rigid in being helpful or curious either; just want to be supportive without being overbearing or drilling.

When a person is under psychological adjustment/stress, how much do you think that aspect plays into healthy levels? I don't seem to have any bewilderment on physical stress-that seems pretty cut and dried..I'm just wondering how much brain chemistry (in a scientific sense) plays a part.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a great starting (and continuing) book. The website is here:

http://www.diabetes-book.com

and has some great forums.

As far as cook books, I'm liking the Low Carbing Among Friends books. There are 2 out now with another due out the end of the year. I also really like Maria Emmerich's books. Her awesome blog is here:

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

I also have Karen Barnaby's cookbook, but haven't had a chance to cook out of it yet.

I get most of my recipes from blogs. If you want a list, let me know. I also get most of my info online rather than from books (other than Bernstein's book).

As far as psychological adjustment/stress, I'm not sure what you mean. Diagnosis is definitely stressful. I think the thing that helps is to be proactive and take responsibility for making the positive changes. Stress does have a negative impact on bs levels. Learning how to deal with stress will be very helpful. I haven't figured that one out yet, though. When I was diagnosed, my stress was about how to go forward. I REALLY don't want any of the diabetic complications that are possible. Fear is my motivator. I've really spent just about every spare minute I have had in the last 7 1/2 months trying to learn as much as I can. It's still confusing to me, but I try.

I also know first hand that you can't make someone change. My dh was diagnosed I don't know how many years ago. His dad was diabetic and both his sister and brother have also been diagnosed. But, he is not willing to make the dietary changes that I am and he continues to eat whatever he wants thinking that medication will take care of it. But, his levels are going up and he makes comments about his meds not working anymore. His meds are working, but not with the crazy way he eats. He's seen what I've done with my diet bs levels and is impressed but not willing to make the change. He won't change until he's ready.

We eat lots of mexican food here - I can sub out for a low carb tortilla (which are quite tasty BTW) , use corn tortillas, or mix it all with lettuce for a salad, depending on what we are having. Fajitas are my favorite, but tacos are good. Everyone here likes burritos (I leave the rice out of mine). There is so much flavor in mexican food and the ingredients aren't budget breakers.

Lots of grilled and baked food - chicken, pork, steak. Chili - last night we had chili dogs with cheese and onions! There are some good recipes out there in the South Beach cookbooks. Eggs - omelets and egg pies (can't call them quiches since they don't have a crust) are very popular.

Maria's site is pretty but

there are spider eggs on the first page right now-ugh..lol, wasn't expecting that.

That's a very human to human readable passage voice on that page- I really like it. thank you

:lol: Glad you were able to get past the spider eggs. :lol:

Her chocolate chip cookies have been a life saver for me. Her nutritional info is helpful, too.

I also know first hand that you can't make someone change.

:iagree:

This is so true. You can't "fix" diabetes by just cooking better for someone - they will just go out and eat Snickers bars. It only works if they buy into it themselves.

And some things about diabetes are really hard. Start with the fact you keep hearing about "CURING DIABETES" with diet changes. Or drugs. Or this miracle exercise program. It's a lie. You don't CURE it. You can control it, but you have to come to grips with the fact that you can NEVER go back to your old unhealthy lifestyle. You can NEVER sit down and eat a huge bowl of ice cream without making yourself feel sick.

It's a bit depressing to think about it that way. I find it helps to remind myself about all the wonderful things that I can do now that I didn't used to be able to do (pollyanna-glass half full).

I'm really confident that this will be a full-team effort, no resistance.

I know I don't understand blood "sugar" process yet, or the technical definitions of the system- but what does leap out of me are the times that we've done/stuck with juicing in the recent past. Mostly vegetables, not so much the fruits category...there were noticeable and immediate uplifting physical responses when we have done that.

I know that we slack off on it, and on supplements also - does anyone have experiences with those two areas and diabetes management?

Reading the list of no no carbs is sort of a deep punch to me, I feel like it was a case of aiding and abetting. No fruit in feeling guilt or convicted though, right? I suppose it's part of the process of something new.

Big finger in the sky is pointing at me.

I have not seen her site prior to you posting it. She has some great looking recipes!

I've got two of her cookbooks. I think that most of the recipes from the books are posted on her site, but it's nice to have the books, too. I have a long list of her recipes that I want to try.

:iagree: I can never fall off the exercise wagon again. I have to be attentive to signs in order to adjust my lifestyle even further if necessary and add diet changes and or medication.

:iagree:

This is so true. You can't "fix" diabetes by just cooking better for someone - they will just go out and eat Snickers bars. It only works if they buy into it themselves.

And some things about diabetes are really hard. Start with the fact you keep hearing about "CURING DIABETES" with diet changes. Or drugs. Or this miracle exercise program. It's a lie. You don't CURE it. You can control it, but you have to come to grips with the fact that you can NEVER go back to your old unhealthy lifestyle. You can NEVER sit down and eat a huge bowl of ice cream without making yourself feel sick.

It's a bit depressing to think about it that way. I find it helps to remind myself about all the wonderful things that I can do now that I didn't used to be able to do (pollyanna-glass half full).

I'm really confident that this will be a full-team effort, no resistance.

I know I don't understand blood "sugar" process yet, or the technical definitions of the system- but what does leap out of me are the times that we've done/stuck with juicing in the recent past. Mostly vegetables, not so much the fruits category...there were noticeable and immediate uplifting physical responses when we have done that.

Blood Sugar 101 is a great place to start:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Supplements:

I've taken supplements for years and continue to do so. CoQ10, probiotics, vit d, vit c, blue green algae, etc. Since my diagnosis, I've added Insulow and Green Coffee Bean extract. I haven't noticed any changes but I figure they can't hurt. On some of the diabetic/LC boards I read, there are people who have had great results by adding them.

For me, it's been easiest to just realize that carbs, including fruit and most veggies, are not OK. I don't even go the low carb tortilla route. Dr Bernstein recommends no more than 30 carbs a day - 6 for breakfast, and 12 each for lunch and dinner. I really try to stick to that. Fat helps you feel full. When making the switch, I didn't count carbs (still don't as I know what is OK and what isn't). I basically focus on medium protein and high fat. It's weird to make the mental switch to fat is good after being brainwashed for most of our lives that fat is the problem. I don't eat any fruit, grains, below ground veggies, sugars, dried beans, etc. It definitely takes some adjustment. I went cold turkey because if I tried to cut back, I knew I'd never do it. I hadn't eaten beef in at least 25 years. I'm now eating beef again (not ground beef though).

Now, my grocery list consists of whipping cream, butter, sour cream, cheeses, eggs, chicken thighs, ground turkey, pork, bacon, almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, zucchini, cauliflower, cabbage, cream cheese, salami, etc. The more fat I eat, the better my bs levels.

Edited by Stacy in WA

My sister suggested whatever we get for a new home has a fenced in back yard.

That man is getting a dog. A lawn to mow. And a garden to play in.

I'll initially play it like it's for me of course - lol, but he'll see through it in a heartbeat. I can be over obvious sometimes.

Someone up thread said to be cautious of anything that said "cure/reverse" - you guys were right, the internet is just fraught with that phase. What's up with all the snake oil?