Menu

World War I movies

woolybear

Any suggestions for movies based in this time period or about WWI?

My ds is 12. He can handle seeing some violence. I definitely don't want anything with sex scenes in it.

I was wondering about Gallipoli and War Horse? Appropriate or not?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Any suggestions for movies based in this time period or about WWI?

My ds is 12. He can handle seeing some violence. I definitely don't want anything with sex scenes in it.

I was wondering about Gallipoli and War Horse? Appropriate or not?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

I think I've seen every WWII movie. World War I movies are scarcer. Yeah... War Horse is all I've got.

I was also going to suggest War Horse and Sergeant York. The stories are told in very different ways.

I also remember watching some of "All Quiet on the Western Front" as a youth (Hallmark Hall of Fame movie), with some parts being boring and some upsetting.

The 1995 "A Little Princess" has some scenes from WWI which affect the storyline.

I love the movie Gallipoli but I think it might be a bit too much for a 12 yo. All Quiet on the Western Front with Richard Thomas (John Boy Walton) was really good as I recall. We watched Sergeant York with Gary Cooper and thought it was schlocky propaganda. So much so we kept laughing at inappropriate moments. I had heard it recommended so many times. Goes to show "your mileage may vary" is a very apt disclaimer. I remember seeing a really good documentary on the red baron andthe RAF that was really illuminating.

All Quiet on the Western Front. THAT is the moving I was trying to remember.

Is there another Sargent York without Gary Cooper? That movie just doesn't look right to me. I think the one we saw might have been black and white.

There is a movie with Brad Pitt, but I don't recommend it to children. :lol:

Chariots of Fire is set not long after WW1. The Titanic went down just before WW1.

All Quiet on the Western Front. THAT is the moving I was trying to remember.

Is there another Sargent York without Gary Cooper? That movie just doesn't look right to me. I think the one we saw might have been black and white.

There is a movie with Brad Pitt, but I don't recommend it to children. :lol:

Chariots of Fire is set not long after WW1. The Titanic went down just before WW1.

What's the Brad Pitt movie? I need to study too. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you both. anyone else? Or does anyone know of a site that lists films by time period? Maybe I should start a new thread for that.

http://www.vernonjohns.org/snuffy1186/movies.html#IX-2

This is pretty thorough, and if you click on the links, he gives a detailed play by play of most of the movies, so you can see if there is anything inappropriate.