Menu

SWO vs R&S Spelling

Juliegmom

Can anyone help me compare Spelling Workout with Rod and Staff? My daughter is solid in phonics, is reading above grade level and is a natural speller. We are currently using SWOB which is very easy for her. My dd thinks the activities are fun, but I don't want it to just be busy work. I'm considering bumping her up to level C or trying R&S which I would also bump up a grade level. Any advice? Thank you! :001_smile:

We use SWO, and my DDS tolerate it ;) What I do is have them read the 1st page and then take the pre-test. If they miss no more than 1/10 (or 2/20) they write the misspelled 3x (5x) and always do the proofreading. The next day I ask the misspelled word(s) again. As long as they get them right, we move on. If they miss them, they write them 3x (5x) and also in a sentence. HTH

Can anyone help me compare Spelling Workout with Rod and Staff? My daughter is solid in phonics, is reading above grade level and is a natural speller. We are currently using SWOB which is very easy for her. My dd thinks the activities are fun, but I don't want it to just be busy work. I'm considering bumping her up to level C or trying R&S which I would also bump up a grade level. Any advice? Thank you! :001_smile:

FTR, I don't think it's necessary to do Spelling by Sound and Structure a grade level ahead.

The second and third grade books are very simple, which is fine and age-appropriate. Fourth grade takes a big leap; many third-graders would not be up to the work. Remember that it isn't the word lists that are challenging; it's the activities, which is as it should be.

SWO:

-puzzle like activities

-kid could complete the entire lesson without once even reading the spelling rule/tip box

-proofreading section/small writing assignment

-child sorts the words by the way the sound is spelled, and there's a bit of vocab work

-upper levels are more vocabulary focused

-all workbooks, all the way through

-teacher guides have more practice pages, the answer key, and sentences for the quizzes

SSS:

-no puzzles, fluff or flashy objects

-strength lies in the exercises themselves

-kid has to work with the spelling rules directly to complete the exercises

-no proofreading, but in 6+ they're occasionally told to write a few sentences

-covers syllabication

-turns into root based vocabulary study in the upper levels

-workbooks in grades 2-5, textbooks in grades 6-8 (The textbook levels don't require much more writing than the workbooks.)

-teacher guides have extra ideas for teaching the concepts, answer keys, and sentences for the quizzes

I prefer Spelling by Sound and Structure. Hands down.

I used SWO with my oldest two kids. DS's spelling didn't improve a lick, and he'd rather poke a spork in his eye than do a puzzle for schoolwork. My second child loved the puzzles, then grumbled at me when I switched her to R&S. Half a year into R&S she ate her words and declared it helped her learn how to spell, even if it wasn't as "fun" to complete.

All four of my students use R&S spelling. One natural speller, two average, and one that has to be explicitly taught. The only one that uses it ahead of grade level is ahead of grade level in every subject; she uses the book that best aligns with the rest of her language arts.

With one exception, my kids use the books at their grade level. One DD does use it ahead of grade level, but she is the one who is ahead in every subject. She is using the R&S spelling book that matches her global language arts grade level.

Unless it's so easy they could do it blindfolded with one arm tied behind their back, I see no reason to bump them up a grade level. Remember it's not about the word lists, it's what they do with the words that drive those rules home. A kid who is quick to memorize still needs to learn those rules so they can apply them to new words.