Menu

What are your opions of R&S spelling?

bttrflyvld

VERY well put together (IMHO :)). We've used it for the last 3 years or so. Not familiar with lower grades. We started in Grade 4.

Comparatively, looking at just the word lists, it "appears" easier on the surface than other programs out there. However, the work involved in the daily lessons is more than on grade level.

If you have an independent worker, it's very self explanatory. My 7th grader has done spelling independently since 4th / 5th grade. I still go over the daily lessons with my current 4th grader (ds 9). He can handle the work, he's just more easily distracted :banghead:.

All in all, for the cost, it's an exceptional program. We don't plan on changing :)

Hope that helps!

I tried the grade 2 book in 1st grade, and I thought it was too easy. The words seemed very random, and there didn't seem to be much teaching. So I sold it a week in and bought AAS. We used 2.5 levels, and then I realized I really needed something more independent. So I started looking at R&S again and realized that the upper levels DO teach phonics and rules and all the stuff that AAS teaches. It's just not in the grade 2 book because they expect you to be doing their Phonics grade 2, which we were not doing (and my son probably could have used that, but oh well).

We jumped into R&S 3, and it's gone very well. There is some phonics reinforcement at this level, and my son is learning to spell. It is independent for him, so it gets done. We will start R&S 4 soon, and it gets very heavy into phonics.

The upper levels get into roots and such. Very thorough program. I agree with others that the exercises are harder than he words themselves, so don't let the words fool you. ;)

VERY well put together (IMHO :)).

All in all, for the cost, it's an exceptional program. We don't plan on changing :)

Hope that helps!

:iagree: and :001_wub: R&S spelling. It's thorough, well organized, user friendly, and effective. It is a keeper for us. My oldest student has been using Grade 4 but I may bump him up a grade level. He is a natural speller and older for his grade.

We are using spelling 7 this year for my natural speller and he is quite liking it which is saying a lot for that boy. I like that he can use it indepentently, has great depth to it (not just a word list but getting more into word study than just spelling), and so cheap compared to the spelling I use with the other kids.

VERY well put together (IMHO :)). We've used it for the last 3 years or so. Not familiar with lower grades. We started in Grade 4.

Comparatively, looking at just the word lists, it "appears" easier on the surface than other programs out there. However, the work involved in the daily lessons is more than on grade level.

!

I agree. I used it starting w/grade 4 for my natural speller in 3rd grade. Even she complains that the words are too easy. But I like the work that she is doing. She is now in the 6th grade book. I don't even give her the tests. She does the work independently. For her I am not looking for spelling rules and teaching so much as the other work: vocabulary, word roots, and things like that.

For my non natural speller I started her in grade 2 at grade level and she has moved up to 3. It is just right for her. She can do the workbook independently. Then I have her do other work for a day or two with the words (word tiles, copy them twice, or write sentences or dictation, etc.) and then I test her at the end of the week. Her spelling is improving, and her test grades are improving.

Just like all of their stuff that I use it is easy to use, can be as independent as you need it to be, and is very thorough.

We just switched and I like it. I wish we had done it sooner....my kids came in at level 6 but it would have been solid in the younger years...we only get this last year of the rules before word study.

The word lists may seem easy but the work you with the words is challenging. I go over the words and rules on Monday and my kids do section A on their own. Tuesday they do section B on their own. Wednesday they do section C on their own. They study some Thursday and at some point that day we do the test.

The work requires you to really pick apart the words, their sounds, and understand related or opposite words. The dictionary questions are challenging as well.

After using AAS this seems much better. Not just memorizing the list but working with the words.

This is our first year using it (2nd and 4th grades) and I really like it! It's laid out very nicely and yes, very easy to teach. The workbook can be done totally independently.

At first glace, R&S Spelling seems on the easy side since the words aren't that hard. But it's what they have to *do* with the words that can be quite challenging! It seems very thorough to me (as with most R&S materials, lol).

I've been thinking of trying it too for my horrible spelling 12 yr old boy. :001_huh:This is one area I've really slacked with him. I really thinks he need to review phonics too. What level would you ladies suggest? I'm thinking of backing him up and start with level 4. Yes, he's that bad!

I've been thinking of trying it too for my horrible spelling 12 yr old boy. :001_huh:This is one area I've really slacked with him. I really thinks he need to review phonics too. What level would you ladies suggest? I'm thinking of backing him up and start with level 4. Yes, he's that bad!

Cheryl,

If you are committed to remediating phonics and spelling with your son may I suggest you take a look at Rod and Staff's remedial reading program? I have not used it but I hear good reviews on it from time to time, it is affordable and streamlined, and their regular phonics program is quite good. The remedial program is streamlined and intended for use by older students. Take a peek and see if it might help. It is worth the time!

Thanks Katrina,

I actually have it but tried it for his dyslexic younger brother which was too much for him at that time I used it. DS12 reading is average but the other day he asked me what the words..legislature and Parliament were or how to say them. That's why I think he needs to review phonics and how to divide syllables. I may look at it again and have him go through it. He's my more mathy/science guy. He cannot grasp the shwa sound concept at all.

Here's some words he wrote recently...importint, lisining, unacceptaboll, and I could go on but it's too embarrassing. I take full responsibility too. :eek: I've put so much spelling and reading focus on ds10 that I've neglected this area with him and really just thought he would get better the more he read...but it's not happening.

Is the program thorough and easy to teach?

Absolutely. It gets the job done, and done well. The TE has teaching suggestions for the rule or rules being targeted, quiz sentences, and a copy of the student page with full answers.

What do you think about the program? Well put together?

Very well put together. Here's a cut and paste of my comments from a different thread.

-no puzzles, fluff or flashy objects

-strength lies in the exercises themselves

-kid has to work with the spelling rules directly to complete the exercises

-no proofreading, but occasionally there are a few sentences assigned in the vocabulary portion

-covers syllabication

-turns into primarily root based vocabulary in the upper levels

-workbooks in grades 2-5, textbooks in grades 6-8 (Other than titling the notebook page, the textbook levels don't require much more writing than the workbooks.)

-teacher guides have extra ideas for teaching the concepts, answer keys, and sentences for the quizzes

All four of my students use Spelling by Sound and Structure, and I own the entire 2-8 set now. From the natural speller to the one who needs the rules explicitly taught, they're doing well and consistently advancing. When they pass the tests it's because they understand why the words are spelled that way, not because they memorized an arbitrary list of words. :001_smile: