Menu

Madame Butterfly for 10 year olds??

We have an amazing opportunity to see the live opera. I want to go because our friend is one of the main performers. We'd get to go backstage and everything. The girls would learn SO much about the opera and I would do a LOT of prepping with them.

What do you think? At the end of the day, is it just too intense?

My husband thinks because it's an opera, in Italian, it will be way more abstract than a movie and he reminded me could always leave at intermission.

I bought the tickets before someone reminded me it's a pretty intense storyline. Now I'm torn!

I think I'd prepare them for the storyline, as I would for any opera, and let them decide if they're ready. It's intense, yes, but I think 10 yr olds with a good versing in history would have the context to understand it, while it would be distant enough that they'd see it as "history", and not relate it to "something that could happen to me or to someone I know".

I think I'd prepare them for the storyline, as I would for any opera, and let them decide if they're ready. It's intense, yes, but I think 10 yr olds with a good versing in history would have the context to understand it, while it would be distant enough that they'd see it as "history", and not relate it to "something that could happen to me or to someone I know".

And, knowing my kids, I think you are completely right.

I've been reading some stuff online and it sounds like we should be just fine.

Thanks.

Absolutely!

I watched my first opera (Magic Flute) at age 5, and it was the most memorable cultural experience I ever had.

I would prepare the child by going through the plot, introducing the characters and possibly listening to excerpts.

I do not think the storyline would be too intense for a 10 year old - it happened a long time ago, in a remote place, and they won't feel it has anything to do with them. It certainly is nothing as bad as children being abandoned by their parents in the wood and a woman burned alive (Hansel&Gretel)

Edited by regentrude