Menu

Why did 9-1-1 ask for my address?

Earlier today, while in town and away from my home, I had to call 9-1-1 to report a woman needing some type of help. She was walking down the road, staggering, and even laid down on the road a few times. Long story short, it ended up that the woman was high on drugs and was arrested. Now, on to my question...the emergency operator asked for my home address and phone number. Any ideas why?

When I dispatched, we had a computer system that we could add people and their information into, and if they came up again we could use the same entry. Occasionally we'd verify a home address even if the caller wasn't home to make sure we were listing the correct person in the report. Also, some of the biggest fiascos came from the most innocuous phone calls. If that drunk/high woman had turned into something much worse, the responding officers would want to find the caller for a witness statement.

ETA: Also, thanks for calling for some help for her. Lots of people just pass by and ignore, and the outcomes aren't always so good.

Edited by BarbecueMom

In case they need to follow up. Though, honestly, it seems like they could track you by your cell phone number if they needed to find you. But, then, the caller could have asked for someone else's phone, so...

It's also to make sure you're where the computer says you are.

I had made a call to 911 and was asked my phone number (pre-cell phone days) - of course, the computer system automatically gave them the number I was calling from. led to some enlightening conversation as I was at that time at my babysitters house.

I think most counties are now E911, but maybe yours isn't. If they don't have E911 they can't tell where you live when you call.

Also there is the fact that not everyone who calls calls from their own home phone. It is always best to confirm either by asking or by reading back what the screen says.

I think most counties are now E911, but maybe yours isn't. If they don't have E911 they can't tell where you live when you call.

Also there is the fact that not everyone who calls calls from their own home phone. It is always best to confirm either by asking or by reading back what the screen says.

We were trained to ask twice, even if the number pops up on the screen. If the computer is wrong, and you repeat the wrong number back, in a panic situation most people will not correct or even realize it's wrong. It's frustrating when you need help ASAP and the dispatcher asks for address and phone twice, even if they already know it, but they're really the two most important questions.

I do understand that they would need my address if I were calling from my home, but I was in town on a public street when I called using my cell phone. I didn't question them needing my cellphone number, but I was stumped on why they needed my home address since I was not calling from that location.

We were trained to ask twice, even if the number pops up on the screen. If the computer is wrong, and you repeat the wrong number back, in a panic situation most people will not correct or even realize it's wrong. It's frustrating when you need help ASAP and the dispatcher asks for address and phone twice, even if they already know it, but they're really the two most important questions.

That is a good idea. I don't think we were trained to do that. Maybe the "real" dispatchers were. I worked at a small department and before we went to 911 the supervisor just pulled one of us off the road to dispatch if the regular dispatcher was out for the shift.

In the above case, first and foremost it was probably for the report. Secondly in case a responding department needed to contact you further.

You are probably right. My paranoid self was worried that they were going to try to bill me for their services, as they responded with a policeman and an ambulance.

You are probably right. My paranoid self was worried that they were going to try to bill me for their services, as they responded with a policeman and an ambulance.

Nah. You shouldn't be billed for anything. The only time I've heard of a PD/SO billing is if they have to answer too many false alarms from home owners who don't have their burglar alarm set correctly. And EMS bills the patient.

That is a good idea. I don't think we were trained to do that. Maybe the "real" dispatchers were. I worked at a small department and before we went to 911 the supervisor just pulled one of us off the road to dispatch if the regular dispatcher was out for the shift.

And all this time I thought officers only went down to the dispatch room to steal coffee. :tongue_smilie: