Menu

Singapore templates etc

redsquirrel

My local school district is in the process of transitioning to SM this year. Seeing as they are switching over from years of Everyday Math, it seems to be quite an undertaking.

They have created a page with lots of SM templates to print out, and I thought some of you might find this useful

If you look on the bottom of the page there is a link to a family site. Right now it just has a lot of You Tube videos, but I found some of them interesting.

http://icsdk5math.wikispaces.com/Home

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I think they had a pilot program in one of the smaller elementary schools last year, and this is the district wide roll out. My son has a friend in 5th grade and he says so far he has just been doing lots of worksheets to 'get them ready for Singapore Math" I can't imagine switching my math program in 5th grade.

I only found out because a couple friends called me to ask about SM. They know it is what I use with my kids. I was pretty useless, because I don't speak teacherspeak. I don't think "Umm...I really like number bonds, because they make it easy to add, and those bars are really helpful for solving word problems" was the most illuminating thing I could say.

I did print off some 10 frames to use with my second grader. He is a little old for them, but he really likes just messing around with math manipulatives and seeing what he comes up with.

My local school district is in the process of transitioning to SM this year. Seeing as they are switching over from years of Everyday Math, it seems to be quite an undertaking.

My son has a friend in 5th grade and he says so far he has just been doing lots of worksheets to 'get them ready for Singapore Math" I can't imagine switching my math program in 5th grade.

In Singapore, when they roll out a new version of their maths curriculum, they only introduce it to new first graders.

Thank you for the link, though. I will check out the videos tonight.

In Singapore, when they roll out a new version of their maths curriculum, they only introduce it to new first graders.

Thank you for the link, though. I will check out the videos tonight.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be easier on everyone if they started with the younger kids and rolled it out over time. But, then those first graders are always working with a newly trained teacher as they move up to second grade, third grade etc. This way, the kids are getting teachers with more experience teaching SM as they move up. I think there are challenges and benefits both ways.

In Singapore, when they roll out a new version of their maths curriculum, they only introduce it to new first.

This way, the kids are getting teachers with more experience teaching SM as they move up. I think there are challenges and benefits both ways.

In Singapore, the Ministry of Education rolled out this math curriculum when I was in primary four in 1982. Primary one to six was implemented at the same time.

They have created a page with lots of SM templates to print out, and I thought some of you might find this useful

If you look on the bottom of the page there is a link to a family site. Right now it just has a lot of You Tube videos, but I found some of them interesting.

http://icsdk5math.wikispaces.com/Home

Thanks for sharing!

They also have a page with classroom games for each concept...some might be adapted to homeschool. :)