Menu

(C/C) Reading Proverbs and young boys

Should one edit Proverbs for young children?  

1. 1. Should one edit Proverbs for young children?

• Do as much as you can. Do the other parts when they're older.
    • Plan ahead for lots of questions and plow on through them now.
    • Other.

I would like to start reading through Proverbs with my children as part of our daily Bible study. As I am looking ahead, though, how do I deal with "the wayward woman" and such. For example, Proverbs 5, the second half of Proverbs 6, and all of Proverbs 7.

As we studied the ten commandments, we learned that adultery was when a husband or wife leaves their spouse and family to be with someone else instead. But this is a bit more in depth. In some ways I don't think it's appropriate for 5- and 7-year old boys. On the other hand, it's the Bible. Can I edit it?

Edited by rgrin

Most of these places, the KJV says 'strange' woman. Maybe you could talk abut the dangers of people you don't know. (Don't go with strangers no matter how 'sweetly' they talk). You could also say a wayward woman is a woman who doesn't follow God's way.

You can simply study the parts of the Bible that you find age appropreate. I suppose that's "editing" -- it's choosing what you will teach, at what ages, in what order; rather than teaching indiscriminately whatever you come across as you read through.

If you are not ready for your children to know about sexuality, just skip the sexual parts of the Bible (there are lots of them)... but if you do teach it, don't intentionally lead them to an inaccurate conclusion, and don't be intentionally vague and hope they just "gloss over" and accept that the Bible doesn't make any sense today. To do those things would compromise both your personal integrity and the integrity of the Bible itself.

If you think your boys need to know how and why to resist the temptation to extra-marital sex, teach them from the Bible, where it teaches that. If you want to teach them other things, teach them other things from other parts of the Bible. Don't feel like you need to teach every Biblical truth to small children! It's a book primarily for adults, dealing with adult subject matter... by all means introduce children to it, but it's not manditory to teach all of it at all ages, just because it's there.

Two options:

(a) Teach them what sex it, what fornication is, and what adultery is -- then proceed to make those Proverbs clear to them.

(b) Skip those Proverbs.

Edited by bolt.

I am currently in this situation. I have been reading through Proverbs with my kids. I just skim a bit at the most awkward parts. However, I will read about 95% of the verses. I'm beginning to wonder if my kids are listening at all. They don't seem to be asking me what the verses mean. :lol: Also, we just read through the passages about David and Batheseba. I told them that David took Uriah's wife and treated her as his wife. They accepted this answer, but I am beginning to mentally prepare to teach my kids about the intimate parts of marriage and adultery.

Two options:

(a) Teach them what sex it, what fornication is, and what adultery is -- then proceed to make those Proverbs clear to them.

(b) Skip those Proverbs.

:iagree: Don't confuse the kids by telling them something that they will have to learn differently later on.

The Bible has so much material to offer, why not simply choose the parts that you think will be most relevant to your children? They'll have plenty of time for a systematic study of each book when they're older.