Menu

Looking to the future.

6th grade has been up and down. We are starting to get in a rhythm for the year. I'm not looking towards 7th grade, kicking to the curb what didn't work this year and looking for what might next year.

Math - At a complete loss as to what to use for pre-algebra. Math-u-See, Kinetic Books, or a text books. We will not be using Teaching Textbooks, even though my daughter likes the animation, it doesn't work. We need something that explains the process in detail, and then has problems for the process learned.

Science - This year we are doing ClassiQuest, which is good, but all the things to find is annoying, and we don't have the money to get the kit from science tools. Next year I'm looking at Noeo Science Chemistry III.

Grammar - Looking at Winston Grammar or Analytical Grammar. Something that has a lot of repetition.

Literature - Since my daughter is just now really delving in to literature, I'm thinking of Lightning Lit 7, so she can start understanding analysis.

Writing - I'm not sure what we will do.

History - We will do History Odyssey, middle ages level 2. Ancients seems to be working this year.

Art, music, and logic - Artistic pursuits, or something else, suggestions for a very artsy and crafty kid. Music, not sure yet. Logic Perplexors, she doesn't really like logic.

Any suggestions would be wonderful. Since I"m looking to buy around the beginning of the year.

My head hurts. My husband wants my daughter to go through American history before high school. She doesn't do well with text books.

So I'm looking to change middle ages to American history.

What about Notgrass' America the Beautiful for a middle school American History?

We are a MUS family so that would be my math choice, but you'll have to make your own :).

I love the Lightning Lit Jr High series. We've done it twice now and found it a complete success on all levels.

Dd is using Analytical Grammar this year after using Easy Grammar in the past. She was a bit resistant to diagramming in the beginning, but is getting all As and I think it is really sinking in.

For writing you could consider WWS or in a totally different direction, something like Jump-In!

I don't think America the Beautiful is what I'm looking for. I'm looking for would it be easy to secularize?

I was looking at Beautiful feet or Sonlight, though.

Edit: After much looking it over and talking with hubby. We agreed that America the Beautiful might be a good fit with our daughter. Our daughter looked at it strangely, but I'd rather settle on something that looks good and might work out. Instead of looking for a history that does not exist.

Edited by Silver_Kitten

My head hurts. My husband wants my daughter to go through American history before high school. She doesn't do well with text books.

So I'm looking to change middle ages to American history.

What about Joy Hakim's History of US series? The ten books are decidedly not like textbooks. Hewitt Homeschooling sells a junior high level syllabus for going through the series in one year.

Regards,

Kareni

I am using WWS1 with a 5th(Week 2) and 7th grader(Week 10) and WWS2 with a 9th grader(Week 7). I like it more and more and more each week. I think you can still try the first 10 weeks for free. Using that sold me on it.

We are on Week 4 of WWS. My daughter understands all but the Topi. So I'm trying to help her understand it. I like the book, she has learned a lot, but I'm not sure it is the right fit for her, but we are keeping at it and going to see how it goes. Once she figures out Topi, I think things will go back to going well.

What about Joy Hakim's History of US series? The ten books are decidedly not like textbooks. Hewitt Homeschooling sells a junior high level syllabus for going through the series in one year.

Regards,

Kareni

I always go back to looking at History of US, and I did just find the Syllabus you listed. I'll talk with hubby about it and see what he thinks. We might turn it in to a two year study and do middle ages and modern age along with it.

My daughter really wants to do middle ages and I'd like her to have an over view of modern ages world history.

I always go back to looking at History of US, and I did just find the Syllabus you listed. I'll talk with hubby about it and see what he thinks. We might turn it in to a two year study and do middle ages and modern age along with it.

My daughter really wants to do middle ages and I'd like her to have an over view of modern ages world history.

You said you had considered SL. They use History of US for Core 100. We used it for ds when he was in 7th. I dropped a couple of books. We always skip the missionary books and I saved 2 books that I thought would be better later. You could use it as a guide through the History of US books (skip all the notes on these and just read them together and discuss) and a great book list. Dd was in 5th at the time and we read History of US aloud together then she did readers from Core 3+4 while ds did the books from Core 100. We all look at it as our favorite year of history ever.

You said you had considered SL. They use History of US for Core 100. We used it for ds when he was in 7th. I dropped a couple of books. We always skip the missionary books and I saved 2 books that I thought would be better later. You could use it as a guide through the History of US books (skip all the notes on these and just read them together and discuss) and a great book list. Dd was in 5th at the time and we read History of US aloud together then she did readers from Core 3+4 while ds did the books from Core 100. We all look at it as our favorite year of history ever.

I always look at SL, I love the literature based approach. I just don't know about using that along with LL 7, though I'm sure it might work together. I'd make it as secular as possible.

okay beautiful feet or sonlight...

i shown them both to hubby and he likes them both, though he says mostly, what ever i chose will be fine.

i just don't know what all i'd have to add to sonlight for a complete curriculum other than science and math.

with beautiful feet i know that i'd have to add everything else.

sorry for the lack of capitalization and punctuation, my keyboard is going out and i've yet to get in touch with the company or gotten a new one.

this is where i'm at now for 7th grade.

sonlight core d+e tweaking it for higher grade level

sonlight science f or noeo chem 3

math horizons pre-algebra with life of fred

art artistic pursuits since my daughter likes it

logic perplexors, grid, math, Venn

typing continuing what we are doing now

--adding winston grammar for added help and understanding if needed--

--or--

oak meadow seventh grade, i know it's world history and not just american history, i like the books they have with their english curriculum, minus the math and keeping the science.

horizons pre-algebra with life of fred

art artistic pursuits since my daughter likes it

logic perplexors, grid, math, venn

typing continuing what we are doing now

--adding winston grammar for added help and understanding if needed--

we will be going through american history in high school again, per my husbands request. so something that does an overview now would probably be best, since her writing isn't great and i'd like her to do more hands on activities.

thank you to everyone who has helped me with this.

so after months of trying to figure out what might work with my daughter, i finally have a plan of action for 7th grade more or less.

history and literature - sonlight core d+e history and literature, adding level appropriate reading

grammar - saxson grammar and writing 7

writing - finishing wws1, possibly staring wws2, queen's language lessons for the secondary child

math - saxson pre-algebra with dive

typing - continuing what we are doing now

art - artistic pursuits

japanese - mango

logic - perplexors, venn, grid, math

spelling - continue with aas and megawords

vocabulary - wordly wise 3000 online

science - noeo chemistry 3