Menu

Testing question for Duke

acurtis75

There are some Duke tip courses available in our area that dd would love when she is old enough to take them. I realize after doing some research that to participate means I will have to have dd tested. Our local homeschool store/co-op does Iowa Test of Basic Skills at a very reasonable price so I figure we could just do that since it's listed on the Duke site.

My question for those of you with accelerated kids is what test to have her take. She is 7 (turns 8 in late February). She's never been to school but in Texas where we live she would be in 2nd grade. Should I just have her take the 2nd grade test even though we finished 2nd grade a long time ago? If it makes a difference she took the K test before she was 5.

I know at some point in the future we might have to spring for more expensive testing but I would love to do the less expensive option if that will work for the 4th-6th duke qualification.

You can test at age/grade or above and ask for it to be scored based on her age with some providers. Since you need a 95%+ score for talent search, the test that's most useful to you as a parent (which requires testing out of level to the point that the child DOESN'T get everything correct) isn't the same as the one that qualifies for programs unless you get the dual scoring.

I think at this point I just need the one for the talent search. Because we live in a large city with lots of corporations and museums I'm finding out there are a lot of Duke Tip programs dd can do starting in another year or two. From a curriculum/teaching standpoint I feel like we're in a good groove of challenging and moving forward at her pace so I don't know if I need a test for my benefit but I'm realizing I need it for the talent search stuff.

The group that administers the test is just going to administer the basic test and I don't think they'll take age in to account or do any differentiation. With that in mind I'm thinking that we'll go with the grade she would be in public school. I'm fairly sure she would score over 95 percent even if we go up a several grades but don't think that's necessary since this is just for the talent search.

I believe you can actually just sign up for the Duke TIP without having done a prior test - just on parent recommendation. At least when registering, they don't ask for your child's scores on the prior test (to my recollection).

However, I likely would wait until at least 4th to take the Explore (with Duke, they suggest 5th; Northwestern NUMATS does it starting in 3rd, I believe).

I think the website requests that you use a test no more than two years old. So, are you wanting her to take a 2nd grade test now so you have it for when she's in 4th? I don't think a K or 1st grade test would count for enrollment, but they aren't too strict since you can also use parent recommendations.

I would just use a basic test like a CAT or IOWA or something if you just need it for enrollment in Duke TIP. The purpose of the Explore or SAT is for enrollment in future programs and to compare them to other students and give them a higher ceiling. Unless you need more information than that, like you suspect a learning disability or something, the Explore or SAT is going to allow her to participate in most gifted extra programs. So more expensive testing in the future may or may not be necessary. For us her SAT scores opened a few doors.

I had my older DD take the SAT "early", she was 11, but had finished and had a 6th grade test so I signed her up. I called and they said whenever the child has finished 6th and has the scores they can take it. It's at our discretion. In hind sight I sometimes wonder if I should have had her take the SAT later with her age mates. Her scores where fine and she qualified for recognition etc. But, she was taking it with other students who were mostly 12 and 13 years old. She was being compared with other "gifted" students who were a year older. I'm assuming her score would have been higher had I waited another year. It has worked out fine and she qualifies for lots of things, but still leaves me with not having a direct comparison with other gifted kids her age. She was once again younger.

So just a thought about when to take it. For searches, etc. where you want a high score I would test on age level and not go up. It depends on what you want the tests for. If I misunderstood your question I apologize.:001_smile:

DD

I think the website requests that you use a test no more than two years old. So, are you wanting her to take a 2nd grade test now so you have it for when she's in 4th? I don't think a K or 1st grade test would count for enrollment, but they aren't too strict since you can also use parent recommendations.

I would just use a basic test like a CAT or IOWA or something if you just need it for enrollment in Duke TIP. The purpose of the Explore or SAT is for enrollment in future programs and to compare them to other students and give them a higher ceiling. Unless you need more information than that, like you suspect a learning disability or something, the Explore or SAT is going to allow her to participate in most gifted extra programs. So more expensive testing in the future may or may not be necessary. For us her SAT scores opened a few doors.

I had my older DD take the SAT "early", she was 11, but had finished and had a 6th grade test so I signed her up. I called and they said whenever the child has finished 6th and has the scores they can take it. It's at our discretion. In hind sight I sometimes wonder if I should have had her take the SAT later with her age mates. Her scores where fine and she qualified for recognition etc. But, she was taking it with other students who were mostly 12 and 13 years old. She was being compared with other "gifted" students who were a year older. I'm assuming her score would have been higher had I waited another year. It has worked out fine and she qualifies for lots of things, but still leaves me with not having a direct comparison with other gifted kids her age. She was once again younger.

So just a thought about when to take it. For searches, etc. where you want a high score I would test on age level and not go up. It depends on what you want the tests for. If I misunderstood your question I apologize.:001_smile:

DD

?

I think you understood my question. We're doing this just for access to programs. I don't really need a test to help me figure out that she's ahead. The amount of money i've spent because she goes thru curriculum so fast is proof enough for me.

Thanks for the information on Explore/SAT. I assumed I had to spend more money later but that's good to know. I think after reading all the replies I am going to just to the Iowa 2nd grade this year and if necessary 3rd next year to give her 2 shots. I say if necessary because when she did the k test she was barely 4 but already reading extensively on her own. She was annoyed that they wouldn't let her "read" her own test and that the questions were too easy and it impacted her score. She asked me why I paid money to have her identify letters on a silly test since she could already read. I thought that was a prettty good point and we haven't tested since. Since we don't normally do standardized type testing she may need a dry run this year to get used to the process.