Menu

middle school math?

The older one came out of public school having taken 1 year of pre-algebra but not really understanding it. We used the upper level Singapore, and LOF as review.

My younger one i'm leaning towards some combination of LOF and AoPS, but i'm not so sure about AoPS

We are finishing SM6b and wondering the same thing. I never buy extra materials, but right now I have Lial's PreAlgebra and SYRWTL Maths 2 and DM7a because I can't figure out what I want to do. I have about a month to decide. For a while I also had AOPS pre-algebra but it just seemed overwhelming - so I returned it. My daughter's doing great with SM and I don't want to mess with what is working so well! Today I'm leaning towards DM since it's the same publishers and I liked how they move from the bar models to algebra... and how there is a lot of geometry still there and it doesn't seem too intense. But who knows? I think I'd like to use Jacobs for Algebra, and maybe we could go straight into it... but then again, I'd rather over-prepare and spend extra time on arithmetic and pre-algebra than have to go back and remediate because my kids have forgotten how to do fractions (or whatever).

I can say that SM6 is not just a review of 5 and if SM5 is working, I'd just keep trucking along. There's plenty in SM6 and no need to skip it.

I can say that SM6 is not just a review of 5 and if SM5 is working, I'd just keep trucking along. There's plenty in SM6 and no need to skip it.

Yes, but if you are doing DM 7, there is a LOT of overlap with PM 6 stds. ed. So depending on the particular student, you may be able to skip PM 6 and just go straight into DM 7.

DS11is using LoF (finished Fractions through the pre-Algebra set, is halfway through algebra I). It works well for him. Now and then I spot check the depth of his understanding by having him "teach me" a random chapter of Dolciani algebra, and he does an excellent job of explaining everything, so his understanding level is high.

DS8 is partway through Singapore 4B. I am undecided what he will do after 5B. He wants to do Fred, but is doing well with Singapore... I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

We did all of 6A & 6B and then moved on to AoPS Pre Algebra. Yes, there is some overlap, but the approach is so very different that it all feels new to us! :001_smile:

That has been a good thing. He has already shown he can do lots of the math, so he can focus on the problem solving part (very challenging for him) and not worry so much about the actual math part. He really likes it, when he doesn't hate it :lol: