Menu

Zinc for acne---what kind is the "right" kind to get? And what amount?

Someone on the WTM recommended this, which is sitting in my Amazon shopping cart, not-yet-purchased:

Zinc Picolinate

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WSG36K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=A11S5II6PNQC4O

This is exactly what I buy (except I buy a 3-pack which is Amazon Prime) for my 14yodc. They are average height, and on the thinner side. They take one 50 mg pill a day. It has made a big difference, especially for my dd. Now the only time she gets a bad flare-up (meaning, two or three largish pimples on her face, and several on her shoulders) is when she is PMSing. Otherwise, there are none or just one or two.

One caveat - they've learned to take them at breakfast because when they took them at dinner it kept them awake at night.

:bigear:

I bought some, not sure if it's the right kind, but I've been afraid to give it to my son, who is obviously in puberty, hence the acne. When I started looking up information about zinc, many of my google hits were coming up as "zinc to increase testosterone", "zinc to increase libido", and zinc to increase some other unmentionables. I'm worried about giving my son, in puberty, something that increases testosterone :tongue_smilie:.

Try as we might, we've had terrible luck with zinc. My dc have had nausea and vomiting. It seems to make no difference what type they take and whether they take it on a full stomach or not. Are there any types of zinc that won't cause such a horrible reaction? :confused:

When I started looking up information about zinc, many of my google hits were coming up as "zinc to increase testosterone", "zinc to increase libido", and zinc to increase some other unmentionables.

Yes, this would be a definite concern for me also. :tongue_smilie: Thanks for this reminder. I've heard that zinc increases libido. Not something that's essential for young teens. :lol:

I have been wanting to ask about zinc myself. I've seen lots of recommendations for it here, but overall online I see conflicting information on the dosages. Most mainstream medical sites (such as Mayo Clinic) say 34 mg a day is the safe upper limit for a teen boy. His multi-vitamin has 15 mg which is considered 100% of RDA. ETA: I don't consider conventional medicine to be the final authority on supplements, necessarily, but have no way of knowing which "unconventional" sites to trust for good information.

How did those of you who give your kids 50mg of zinc come to the conclusion that that amount isn't too high?

Edited by marbel

So it looks like either the picolinate or the chelated work?

Oh, no, I hadn't heard that about libido!!

I am also concerned with amount, as marbel said-I can't really find recommendations for how much is actually safe. ( I pretty much ditto her post, including the ETA.)