Menu

Need gifts in a jar ideas that aren't layered food types

I am wanting to give each of my kids 2 large canning jars and $5.00 for them to fill for their 2 siblings. If they want to spend more than $5.00 it's out of their wallets (which my older two will do) but I wanted to give them seed money since we don't do allowances. I am also giving them each one for under the tree since we aren't doing much for Christmas in terms of gifts. ANYWAY, I saw this idea but I need more inspiration. http://www.thegunnysack.com/2011/10/everything-in-jar-handmade-gifts.html Any thoughts? I might do some of these types of jar gifts for Sunday School and music teachers too instead of the typical layered food jar gifts so don't limit your ideas to just kids. :-) BTW, mine are 14, 12 and 8 if that helps.

I am wanting to give each of my kids 2 large canning jars and $5.00 for them to fill for their 2 siblings. If they want to spend more than $5.00 it's out of their wallets (which my older two will do) but I wanted to give them seed money since we don't do allowances. I am also giving them each one for under the tree since we aren't doing much for Christmas in terms of gifts. ANYWAY, I saw this idea but I need more inspiration. http://www.thegunnysack.com/2011/10/everything-in-jar-handmade-gifts.html Any thoughts? I might do some of these types of jar gifts for Sunday School and music teachers too instead of the typical layered food jar gifts so don't limit your ideas to just kids. :-) BTW, mine are 14, 12 and 8 if that helps.

I saw a cute one today on pinterest that was filled with stuff for a manicure.

I LOVE this idea! I have a ton of mason jars, this will be a great idea for my kids to help with the holidays. They have teachers, scout leaders, coaches, etc and it would be fun to try to think of things each person would like. Thanks for the link!

I know my DD would love one with a nail theme:nail polish, toe separators, nail art stickers, cotton pads remover (travel bottle)...

My son would love something with small "build" type of toys...lego minifigure pack, nanoblocks, small lego gift card, brick separator, etc.

I'd love to make a Daddy jar...kids can make coupons for Daddy to have a breakfast in bed, fun day out, hour of quiet :lol:, things like that. Maybe print out a special photo, get him a new keychain with the kids pics, small things from home depot (he always needs some little gadget)...I'll have to think more on this.

I think this idea can be fun all year, I'm thinking of making ones for the kids when we go on vacation next month. I can add in a map, some treats for the plane ride, postcard stamps, hmmm....could be fun.

These could be really easy to personalize, just think of the receiver and go with it. And all occasions, baby showers, birthdays, father's day, mother's day, Valentine's day (that would be fun!)...

A few ideas I just had in my head...

Candy ones would be fun for everyone

Book lover-add a book mark, small book light, small gc to amazon, book lists

Tea/coffee-lots of things that would go with this theme

Artsy-find some fun art supplies, take out of box, fill the jar

Crafter-you could go crazy if someone you know is into sewing, knitting, jewelry making, etc

Makeup theme

Outdoor/nature-magnifying glass, pocket field guides, small sunprint paper, etc

Educational jar :001_smile: Math dice, story cubes, thinking putty, flash cards, oh we all could go crazy with this!

OK, I'll stop for now. :lol: I'm mostly thinking out loud and typing these for my own reference, but hopefully they get other people thinking in some direction. Let us know your ideas!

School supplies? Fun pens, pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, sharpies, highlighters, etc.

Something similar for an artist: colored pencils, tubes of paint, paintbrushes, charcoal pencils,

Crafting: pom poms, chenille stems, googly eyes, glue dots, glue, etc.

Camper/boy scout: pocket knife, compass, emergency blanket, water purifying tabs, lanyard, granola bars, koolaid individual packets,

Knitter/crocheter/sewer: yarn, crochet needles, thread, small scraps of material, patterns, trim ribbon, scissors, fabric pencil, needles, pins, ripper, ....

Think stocking stuffers for ideas for kids. You could put small toys or cards etc. in them. Check dollar area at Target or the dollar store.

origami in a jar?

Maybe some inspiration from those tiny-square books in the checkout line at Barnes and Noble (that I lust after every time I'm in there, but am wise enough to see the impracticality of, so I prudently refrain :lol: ) - things like Scrabble tiles, DIY sushi kits, . . .

Other Random Ideas:

garden tools / seeds / plant labels / scissors

survival kit / small knife / instructional "how to's" / tylenol samples

pet kit / homemade dog/cat treats (EASY to make), a bandana

fishing stuff - lures / hooks / bobbers / identification guide

sewing stuff - pretty yarn, crochet hook or knitting needles

music stuff - $2 song download gift card, earbuds, tea bags or hot cocoa packets

snowman in a jar!

*I made one for our family that was a printed list of family discussion questions; I printed them on pretty scrapbook paper, tied a jute ribbon on the top, and gave it to myself. :lol: When we eat supper together, the kids take turn pulling one of those questions out, and we discuss it together over dinner (sometimes this plays out more elegantly than others, ha!). That's been one of my personal all-time favorite gifts-to-myself. :D