Menu

Senior year math credit

I recently found out that the college my ds is interested in requires 4 credits of math with one to be taken the senior year of hs. Ds took alg I in 8th, geometry in 9th. We will continue with Foerster's alg II next year (10th) and planned pre-cal in 11th. I had not planned calculus his senior year since he will be taking physics and adv chem.

But it looks as though we will be forced to take calculus since trig is only a 1/2 credit. Wow, perhaps we should have taken alg I in 9th!!

Susan

You know, Susan, that's what I'm wondering now, too. My son did alg I in 7, geometry in 8th, and is set for Alg II in the Fall for 9th. So are colleges going to not accept it even though he used high school level curriculum? Same thing for Latin - he'll be doing Latin III in 9th grade......etc.

Are are kids being "punished" for doing advanced work...should we take off a few years and hang out.....instead of letting continue on with their work? Ha!

Myra

My daughter also did Algebra I in 8th, Geometry in 9th, Algebra II in 10th and then College Algebra & Trigonometry at the community college this past year in 11th. She'll be taking AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers this coming year. (She's planning to pursue Latin/Classics in College. While she's math savvy, she doesn't care for it overmuch so we've decided against Calculus.)

Regards,

Kareni

Hindsight is 20/20! We learned this the hard way. Of course, each state will vary, but this is definitely something to take into consideration, especially if you are outsourcing for accreditation purposes. Some agencies are flexible, while others are ridiculuously rigid. If you are doing the transcript on youor own you have much more flexiblity to design and teach the content at you student's current instructional level. After all, that is the beauty of homeschooling. Otherwise, unfortunately, traditional institutions contend that eighth grade courses, such as advanced math and advanced science pretty much determine the high school sequence, e.g., eighth grade algebra coupled with physical science will accelerate student advancement to upper level courses to meet college prep requirements.

HTH!

Clare

Calculus and AP Statistics (both) during his senior year. He found the Statistics course to be much easier (and you wouldn't necessarily have to do the AP option, either!)

HTH!:D

Is statistics counted as a math? When I took it in college it wasn't.

Susan

Hindsight is 20/20! We learned this the hard way. Of course, each state will vary, but this is definitely something to take into consideration, especially if you are outsourcing for accreditation purposes. Some agencies are flexible, while others are ridiculuously rigid. If you are doing the transcript on youor own you have much more flexiblity to design and teach the content at you student's current instructional level. After all, that is the beauty of homeschooling. Otherwise, unfortunately, traditional institutions contend that eighth grade courses, such as advanced math and advanced science pretty much determine the high school sequence, e.g., eighth grade algebra coupled with physical science will accelerate student advancement to upper level courses to meet college prep requirements.

HTH!

Clare

Clare,

I'm not sure I understand :) Do you mean that i could give a credit for algebra I taken in 8th grade?

Susan

Is statistics counted as a math? Susan

Well, yes. I'm not sure what it would be if not math. I guess it would be best to check with your college of interest to be sure, but I know the high schools here offer it as a math course (and alternative to calculus or other courses).

Clare,

I'm not sure I understand :) Do you mean that i could give a credit for algebra I taken in 8th grade?

Susan

No, you aren't supposed to give credit for eighth grade work. I am just saying that the four years of high school math must be sequential. If you are writing your own transcript, you can alter course work based on student performance. For example,

ninth: geometry

tenth: algebra II

eleventh: algebra III (if student begins to experience distress) or precalculus

twelvth: precalculus (if algebra III in eleventh) or calculus

Again, your course descriptions will include content covered in each course.

For reference purposes you could look at the Saxon website ( I am not plugging this program, I have used completely different texts, but it would have helped establish an outline when developing a course of study at the beginning of high school) to see the explanation and the varied course of study based on the average and above average sequence of courses.

Clear as mud?! I hope I haven't added to your confusion!

Clare

Well, yes. I'm not sure what it would be if not math. I guess it would be best to check with your college of interest to be sure, but I know the high schools here offer it as a math course (and alternative to calculus or other courses).

I took a grad course, and it was listed under psych, but perhaps it was more advanced/ applied. Its been waaaayyyy too long ago- in the 80's!

Susan