Menu

Moved into a Bi-lingual Area - French Curric

SnMomof7

Hi!

We just moved into a bi-lingual area a month ago (English/French) and I figure, it would be great for the kids to learn French now that there are actually native speakers around for them to practice on.

BUT, I need something pretty open-and-go (new baby coming this fall). Oldest is 9, 2nd born is 6 and she'd likely tag along.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Though we're focusing on Latin for now, I want to implement French sometime in the next few years. Like you, I'm not fluent by any means, but I did take 4 years in HS and 2 semesters in college.

Here's another thread that might be helpful:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=426629

After researching a bit, I am leaning toward L'art de Lire (Nallenart French). It looks comprehensive, easy to use for parent and child, and enjoyable.

Recently someone posted about this site on here:

http://www.realfrenchplus.net/

One portion is free, one is charge. I think you need to stay with the "plus" stuff to stay free. I haven't checked it out much yet.

ETA: If you read the site intro, you click on the secondary tab for the "plus" stuff, then in there you choose the 7-11 thing, then year 7 starts with basics. Although now that I did it I don't seem to get back out to the first screen... Anyway, HTH.

Edited by Tjej

Though we're focusing on Latin for now, I want to implement French sometime in the next few years. Like you, I'm not fluent by any means, but I did take 4 years in HS and 2 semesters in college.

Here's another thread that might be helpful:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=426629

After researching a bit, I am leaning toward L'art de Lire (Nallenart French). It looks comprehensive, easy to use for parent and child, and enjoyable.

We are using and liking L'art de Lire. It's all downloadable which is very convenient.

Hey, I just wanted to say welcome to Nova Scotia! I read your blog post last night, and you had me on MLS looking at cheap housing in the SW part of NS. :D I had no clue! Anyway, welcome! If you need any homeschool info. or contacts in the province, send me a pm. I would also love to know how you came to choose the area you chose (I'm in HRM - Halifax Regional Municipality). There are several Nova Scotians on the forums, too.

Hi Colleen!

Well, we came for the weather (SW NS has the 2nd most temperate climate in all of Canada - we were in Central Alberta before...brrrr!) and the cheap property!

;)

Of course...our house does need work!!

AH - MLS is so addictive - yep, we got here a month ago! It's great, we wanted to be pretty close to services, and we're 15 minutes from Yarmouth which has...EVERYTHING (of course....so does Halifax). Even a weekly homeschooling support group, which I've never been close enough to take advantage of before (we were 1.5 hours from regular meetings at our last home).

For the record (in case anyone else is thinking of moving...) EVERYONE I've met in NS is SO SO Friendly (Colleen included - virtually in her case). We had a HS mom drop by just a few days after we arrived to introduce herself - she lives just two minutes down the road :). Some family members tried to 'warn us off' of attitudes towards outsiders, but everyone here has been nothing but incredibly kind and welcoming to us so far! :) The humidity is also AWESOME for my allergy-prone daughter's skin. She used to suffer so much from eczema, and it's 95% better now! I could go on and on. We have a nice beach 5 minutes away too - my first sunburn in September!

Hi Colleen!

Well, we came for the weather (SW NS has the 2nd most temperate climate in all of Canada - we were in Central Alberta before...brrrr!) and the cheap property!

;)

Of course...our house does need work!!

AH - MLS is so addictive - yep, we got here a month ago! It's great, we wanted to be pretty close to services, and we're 15 minutes from Yarmouth which has...EVERYTHING (of course....so does Halifax). Even a weekly homeschooling support group, which I've never been close enough to take advantage of before (we were 1.5 hours from regular meetings at our last home).

For the record (in case anyone else is thinking of moving...) EVERYONE I've met in NS is SO SO Friendly (Colleen included - virtually in her case). We had a HS mom drop by just a few days after we arrived to introduce herself - she lives just two minutes down the road :). Some family members tried to 'warn us off' of attitudes towards outsiders, but everyone here has been nothing but incredibly kind and welcoming to us so far! :) The humidity is also AWESOME for my allergy-prone daughter's skin. She used to suffer so much from eczema, and it's 95% better now! I could go on and on. We have a nice beach 5 minutes away too - my first sunburn in September!

Wow, that's great! I'm glad you're enjoying it here so far. I moved here 16 years ago, and was impressed by the same things - very friendly people, more relaxed way of life.

Very funny about your September sunburn. :D Now if the hurricanes will just skirt back out to sea when they come north, and if we have as mild a winter as we had here last year (hardly any snow - very unusual), then you should have a great first year. :D