Menu

For my K'er who loves math...

kirstenhill

My math-loving Kindergartener is constantly asking to do more math.

I informally worked through parts of RightStart A last year with my K'er (currently 5.5) for preschool. I got the sense he was ready for a faster pace than A, so we jumped into Level B without finishing A. We're through lesson 27 in B so far, and he just can't get enough. We are already into new material we didn't cover in A. Our time to do math is usually limited more by my patience and availability than by his desire (I usually cut him off after 20-30 minutes, even if he is asking for more).

What's a good fit to supplement RS at his age, especially something he could do at least semi-independently? I know we could always play more RS games, but I can't do that while also teaching my DD. I'm fine reading directions to him and letting him go at it. I'd love to find something that will make him think creatively and solve problems. I don't think he wants to just sit and do page after page of addition problems or something like that, even though he knows how to do that, at least on the abacus.

I'd like to start working through LOF with both DD8 and DS5, but that doesn't really solve my problem of what would be a good supplement that DS5 can do on his own.

So I am wondering about Singapore 1? Math Mammoth? Some kind of a fun workbook? Other ideas?

Miquon is really different, but it might require more of you.

MM would be more independent, but it wouldn't be "fun" for most kids.

Can he play math video games? We have a lot of math apps on the iPad that we like, like Numbers League and Rocket Math. Or Timez Attack has an addition/subtraction version now I think, for the computer.

While probably way easy, one of my ds really enjoyed the Usborne Sticker Math.

Math story books - check out the lists at Livingmath.net. And we really liked an OOP book Called Crazy Creature Number Puzzles that was fun.

Last year my K student who wanted more "fun" enjoyed working through all the Grade 1 areas in IXL online (we have a paid subscription). He could do it on his own, but he's a good reader. I like that there is a button to have the questions read out loud to your child if they need that and you're not around. It's not lots of flashy animation, but he did enjoy it! I'm in the minority and find I didn't like Dreambox. I thought it moved slow, and my child was somewhat frustrated by the program.

Lots of great stuff to check out...Thanks for all the ideas!

I haven't seen either Dreambox or IXL before, so I might have him try those out and consider a subscription...Though it would certainly be cheaper if he would enjoy one of the workbook or other "paper" options. :001_smile: Maybe I should try that first!

Is Miquon completely about the c-rods? I just can't wrap my mind around introducing another manipulative into our house...My RightStart stuff takes up three of the smaller Ikea Trofast drawers as it is...:lol: