Menu

Funny SM 1 update

roanna

So I asked you all a while back about which math would be better after CLE didn't work out for us. I don't know if any of you would find this humorous but he is so not a math but LA guy that around page 17 of 1A he was supposed to find out what Mr 8 got as a toy (number bonds).

He has such little interest in math that he was trying to do the question in reverse and use the letters at the bottom (the toy) to solve the math questions. He did this a few times on different pages. He also picks up on the patterns if they put the answers next to each other. Anyhow, his logic and spelling are much better than math!

But, I must say SM is working well so far even though it's not something he looks forward to.

One of my daughters (also in 1st but b&m) had difficulty with that part of the program as well. It will be sad if that means she won't like math (though it's early to tell).

We have the "Math Fables" books, which reinforce the idea that numbers can be broken down in various ways. We're going over these at home, because I'm not sure the "number bond" concept stuck at all with dd1.

ETA: They also have online "manipulatives" which can reinforce the concepts (if the kids can figure out how the program works!). Do you have access to the online stuff?

Edited by SKL

I had to cover the answer part on those for DD when she was doing SM 1A-2B (they vanished at 3A, but I also switched from the US edition to the New Primary Maths edition used in Singapore at that point), because she'd figure out the answer to the puzzle, and then write in the numbers. It wasn't that she disliked the math-it was that the math was just plain less attractive than the puzzle.