Menu

Well, nuts. (Crushed nuts help please)

My girls love to eat nuts - we currently keep walnuts, almonds and pecans on hand. After a trip to Sam's, I bought huge bags of nuts with the thought of keeping them in the freezer and only pulling out a small bag's worth to eat through the week.

My oldest is in braces (she just got them a couple of months ago) and has quit eating nuts. My middle daughter gets braces next week. My youngest will eat walnuts like a fiend, but doesn't overly care for the others.

Can I grind these up and use them in recipes? And how to I grind them? With a coffee grinder? Any suggestions on recipes?

Well, first of all, they will last quite a long time in the freezer.

Mostly I use nuts in baking.

I grind almonds and coconut with graham crackers to make cheesecake crust.

I use pecans ground up for magic cookie bars.

You could use any on top foods--sprinkle pecans on top of tuna salad, or chicken salad.

Use almonds in broccoli salad (chopped, though)

Ground up in smoothies?

I guess I would google recipes with ground nuts--

Pecans are a soft nut. Both of my kids ate them without issue while they had braces. I add chopped pecans to almost every baked good I make.

I use almond meal for baking, but I'm not sure how to get that texture at home. It seems like grinding could easily result in almond butter.

You could also make up big batches of sugared nuts to give away as Christmas gifts. Those are usually a big hit.