Menu

Um, what is an "Introduction to Engineering" university class going to involve?

I took on a sub job for transcribing an Intro. to Engineering class tomorrow and I just realized I may be :001_huh:. Will there be a lot of math? (Hard to transcribe.) Specialized vocabulary where I'll have no idea what they're saying? (I've tried Organic Chemistry and had a difficult time). I'm transcribing both a Pre-Algebra and biochemistry class this quarter -- both difficult, but doable.

What am I in for?

It really depends on the university. My program had two intro classes. One was mainly computer programming logic. The other was a hodge podge of 3D imaging and drawing techniques, a survey of the different engineering disciplines, and other random things. It really wasn't detailed math or science information.

I would expect more hands-on type of stuff. Group project things.

If it is a real take notes class, there is likely some jargon specific vocabulary and if there are equations some may use greek letters. (Things like pi and lamba and delta x, but all in greek.)

It sounds like a fun class to me.

Thanks! I do think it sounds interesting. (One of the perks of my job!!) As long as I can understand the words -- sounding them out if needed -- and follow the concepts as spoken, I should be fine! It's if they're throwing out a bunch of formulas and equations that the students know (but I don't) that it can get dicey.

Edited by milovaný

The intro to engineering class at my alma mater was a survey of the various disciplines. A quick overview of the basics of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, computer science engineering, and industrial engineering. Probably not too much math, though it really depends on which discipline is being covered. The purpose is to help students who want to study engineering but are not sure which major to pick decide among them.

The intro to engineering class at my alma mater was a survey of the various disciplines. A quick overview of the basics of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, computer science engineering, and industrial engineering. Probably not too much math, though it really depends on which discipline is being covered. The purpose is to help students who want to study engineering but are not sure which major to pick decide among them.

:iagree: My ds is in this. They are doing exactly this, and a group project!