Menu

MCT Literature Curric: Have you used it? Feedback please

Yes, it is definitely in the spirit of Deconstructing Penguins - very discussion based, no worksheets, etc. I have the Search Trilogy, and while we haven't started Treasure Island yet, I've looked through it and I think it's going to be great for us. It has excellent discussion questions and writing assignments. It covers the vocabulary used in the books. And it encourages the student to make connections between the books, to compare and contrast, analyze, synthesize, etc. I'm really looking forward to using it. For a family who wants a literature program focused on reading, discussing, and writing about the books without a lot of extra activities, I think it is great. My only criticism of the program is that you can't buy the TM only - in the case of some of these books, we already own lovely copies, and I resent being forced to buy the books in order to benefit from the TM.

Yes, it is definitely in the spirit of Deconstructing Penguins - very discussion based, no worksheets, etc. I have the Search Trilogy, and while we haven't started Treasure Island yet, I've looked through it and I think it's going to be great for us. It has excellent discussion questions and writing assignments. It covers the vocabulary used in the books. And it encourages the student to make connections between the books, to compare and contrast, analyze, synthesize, etc. I'm really looking forward to using it. For a family who wants a literature program focused on reading, discussing, and writing about the books without a lot of extra activities, I think it is great. My only criticism of the program is that you can't buy the TM only - in the case of some of these books, we already own lovely copies, and I resent being forced to buy the books in order to benefit from the TM.

Thank you - When I read deconstructing Pengions, I was hooked.:001_smile: I have twins and another student -- so it's okay with me that I have to buy the books as I only have one copy of each -- this time.

I can see that but I was intrigued that the books themselves have vocab words defined right on the same pages in the books from what I understand:D I love that feature since it is so convenient:)

My only criticism of the program is that you can't buy the TM only - in the case of some of these books, we already own lovely copies, and I resent being forced to buy the books in order to benefit from the TM.
We are currently using the first volume of the MCT lit program. We had previously read the first two books (Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland) and - like you mentioned - already own beautiful illustrated editions.

But I can't imagine using the MCT program w/o using his actual books. There is so much additional information about literary devices and how/why the author structured the sentences as such.

I had DS use our own copy, while I used the MCT copy. We took turns reading out loud and stopped to read MCT's notes.