Menu

PC program that requires a password to OPEN the internet

I am looking for a program that allows me to put a password on logging onto the internet AT ALL. Not for blocking specific, adult-themed sites, but so that one cannot bring up Google or anything without a password. I don't want to password-protect the whole wireless system in the house - we already have a password, but of course the computers/ipads/phones remember it, and I wouldn't want to have to re-enter it every time I log on anyway, since I'm on it a lot during the day. Wow, that was a bit of a run-on sentence....:tongue_smilie:

So....any ideas on how to do this? What program to download? Its just for one computer out of 5.

I am looking for a program that allows me to put a password on logging onto the internet AT ALL. Not for blocking specific, adult-themed sites, but so that one cannot bring up Google or anything without a password. I don't want to password-protect the whole wireless system in the house - we already have a password, but of course the computers/ipads/phones remember it, and I wouldn't want to have to re-enter it every time I log on anyway, since I'm on it a lot during the day. Wow, that was a bit of a run-on sentence....:tongue_smilie:

So....any ideas on how to do this? What program to download? Its just for one computer out of 5.

Don't all PC's have an initial screen that opens that requires a password, right from the desktop? I thought they did. You can choose to bypass it, or activate it so no one does anything on that computer without the password. ?? Am I confused?

K9 allows you to set times that aren't available except by password. You could use it, and set it to block at all times. The only disadvantage is that when you bypass it with the password, it can be for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 60 minutes. After that, you would have to put the password in again. It might be a disadvantage if you wanted said person to have two or three hours, you would have to enter the password every hour.

I think the OP wants the option to use the computer without it being able to connect to the internet.

Don't all PC's have an initial screen that opens that requires a password, right from the desktop? I thought they did. You can choose to bypass it, or activate it so no one does anything on that computer without the password. ?? Am I confused?

K9 allows you to set times that aren't available except by password. You could use it, and set it to block at all times. The only disadvantage is that when you bypass it with the password, it can be for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 60 minutes. After that, you would have to put the password in again. It might be a disadvantage if you wanted said person to have two or three hours, you would have to enter the password every hour.

:iagree: We've used K9 and like it. Plus, it's free.

I'll look into this, thanks. 60 minutes would be enough for him to research something, I think.