Menu

Sigh. Kitty peeing in their bed...

OK, here I am with another kitty question: one of our kitties (both are 5 mos old) is peeing in the bed they share. The kittens are not litter mates, one is a boy and one is a girl. Both are "fixed". Both consistanly are using the litter box. Both eat well, drink well. They get along well -- they tumble and fight/play, they sleep with or near each other; they groom each other. No "angry play" going on.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the bed had a wet spot in the inside, and said "wetness" had gone through to the bottom and made wet spot on the kitchen floor. We took the bed away for a few days and watched them both like hawks, checking everywhere in the house for more pee. Nothing. Washed the bed in the washer with strong soap, hot water and bleach. Bed has been back in operation for about a week now.

This morning, getting ready for work (and feeding said kittens) noticed the same exact scenario!! Blech, having to mop that part of kitchen floor at 6 a.m.! The first incident I suspect was the female, only because she was the one seen most using the bed on that day. This time, I really have no clue. Litterbox was fine, not dirty both times. They both have clean bill of health, except our boy has to be on a bland diet for a month -- girl is getting same dry food as boy, it's easier; he gets the special wet food on his own while she still gets the Friskies that the shelter recommended.

The first time, I wrote it off as some kind of accident. Now that it has happened again, I am worried. They do share one litterbox and I am wondering if that might be the issue suddenly (they came from a shelter, where litter was shared, so I never thought of doing each their own box). If I have to make another litterbox, I am willing -- but if I do that, how would I keep one cat to one litterbox? Or won't it matter?

Any other thoughts or insights on why they (since I am not 100% sure who did it) would pee in their own bed? TIA!

If this is new kitty behavior, you should take him (probably is the male) to the vet to get checked for a UTI. My male is prone to them and that is his first symptom. Once a UTI is clear, the cat may still be a little scared to use the box because he associates it with pain. We bought our kitty "cat attract" litter and it drew him right back. We also got a pheromone collar to chill him out and it helps. We needed it because after his first UTI, he had a personality change where he was really anxious and aggressive. The collar must make him feel safer because he really relaxes with it and reverts back to being a sweet kitty. Good luck.

I agree with both a vet check and adding another litter box.

The general recommendation is one box per cat plus one more. So in an ideal world you'd have three boxes. But two is definitely better than one. Cats can be really weird about their boxes. Some like to have one for pee and one for poop.

It may also be that you haven't successfully removed the pee smell from the bed. I always recommend using an enzyme-based pet stain/odor remover like Nature's Miracle. People mistakenly believe that bleach, vinegar or other around-the-house stuff gets rid of urine odor just because our pitiful human noses can't smell it any more. But those things won't remove urine odor to the point that a cat or dog can't still smell it.

If this is new kitty behavior, you should take him (probably is the male) to the vet to get checked for a UTI. My male is prone to them and that is his first symptom. Once a UTI is clear, the cat may still be a little scared to use the box because he associates it with pain. We bought our kitty "cat attract" litter and it drew him right back. We also got a pheromone collar to chill him out and it helps. We needed it because after his first UTI, he had a personality change where he was really anxious and aggressive. The collar must make him feel safer because he really relaxes with it and reverts back to being a sweet kitty. Good luck.

He's been checked already; so has she -- nothing.

I would get a 2nd litter box and it wont matter if they swap boxes- they could feel overcrowded using just 1.

Make sure you keep cleaning up the floor and bed though.

Yes, I am thinking we better get another box before they decide to pee elsewhere -- so far it's only in their bed

I agree with both a vet check and adding another litter box.

The general recommendation is one box per cat plus one more. So in an ideal world you'd have three boxes. But two is definitely better than one. Cats can be really weird about their boxes. Some like to have one for pee and one for poop.

It may also be that you haven't successfully removed the pee smell from the bed. I always recommend using an enzyme-based pet stain/odor remover like Nature's Miracle. People mistakenly believe that bleach, vinegar or other around-the-house stuff gets rid of urine odor just because our pitiful human noses can't smell it any more. But those things won't remove urine odor to the point that a cat or dog can't still smell it.

Thanks for reminder that even though we can't smell it doesn't mean they can't. I guess I was just a little confused because the incidents have been more than a week apart.

I keep reading everywhere about more than one box. Although the vet *did* tell us that it was OK to use only one box. Oh well...now to think of where to put the second box. We keep them confined to one room if we go out for a long time, and while we sleep overnight. This is for their protection, as we have areas where we feel they could get stuck/hurt. I suppose it would be all right to let them share that one box over night, and then when the rest of the house is opened up to them, they'd have the 2 boxes.

Is it hard to teach them where to find the second box? Or is it as easy as showing them where it is (like the first box, that was soooo easy).

Thanks again.

Just show them where the 2nd box is.

We live in an apartment and i know i couldnt find a place for a 2nd box (due to 4 dogs and 3 kids + lack of space). The 1 large one we have is in the bathroom. Think outside the normal places though- can you take off a cabinet door and had a tension rod and curtain? Can you leave a closet slightly open? Do you have a corner you can put it?

Also think about the size of the box. They are kittens now but they will grow. Id get the next size up box. It COULD be the litter also... Some cats dont like the feel of materials or the perfumes.