Menu

Could a family doctor diagnose dysgraphia?

Quiver0f10

Can they? Yes.

Can they properly? I don't know.

Our ped just dx DS in a ten minute exam, only by looking at a few writing samples.

Do I put much stock in the dx? Not at all.

We go in two weeks for a two hour evaluation with an OT.

I don't know if most doctors are trained to dx or not.

Our ped said, "All handwriting issues dx as dysgraphia." :glare:

Can they? Yes.

Can they properly? I don't know.

Our ped just dx DS in a ten minute exam, only by looking at a few writing samples.

Do I put much stock in the dx? Not at all.

We go in two weeks for a two hour evaluation with an OT.

I don't know if most doctors are trained to dx or not.

Our ped said, "All handwriting issues dx as dysgraphia." :glare:

Thanks. I am wondering if that would be officially enough for accommodations? I need to call the school and find out.

I was wondering the same thing. Since I have started the journey of finding out if my dd7 has dyslexia, I have started to wonder if her older sister may have it, too. Not because she had trouble reading, but because of her having a hard time with expressing herself and the fact that she can't physically write well. I thought about taking her to her ped to ask him about dysgraphia, and if he can't dx it, then can he have us referred to someone who can. Can peds do that, I wonder?

Since we had a wonky experience with OT, I would say that a ped who knew what he was doing, might be just as good. Our OT basically gave us the stock explanation for dd's writing problems which in reality were not the cause of her problem issues. We wound up getting the best explanation from our PT, so a suppose a knowledgeable and an intuitive ped would be just as good. The documentation for accommodations, though, is something very much looking into. Could you call the College Board?

Since we had a wonky experience with OT, I would say that a ped who knew what he was doing, might be just as good. Our OT basically gave us the stock explanation for dd's writing problems which in reality were not the cause of her problem issues. We wound up getting the best explanation from our PT, so a suppose a knowledgeable and an intuitive ped would be just as good. The documentation for accommodations, though, is something very much looking into. Could you call the College Board?

I think this is what I am going to do tomorrow and see what they think.

If you are talking about accomodations just for the ps, then yes, it's probably enough. If you are talking AP exams, College boards, or College classes, then no. In order for us to get accomodations for AP exams and college boards, we are going to have to get an IQ test, as well as an achievment test done on our dc, at our expense. A letter from their neurologist w/ diagnosis and a list of accomodations is not enough.

If you are talking about accomodations just for the ps, then yes, it's probably enough. If you are talking AP exams, College boards, or College classes, then no. In order for us to get accomodations for AP exams and college boards, we are going to have to get an IQ test, as well as an achievment test done on our dc, at our expense. A letter from their neurologist w/ diagnosis and a list of accomodations is not enough.

ok, thank you. I am looking for college class accommodations so I will plan on a neuro eval.

I am a physician. I don't think most physicians would "diagnose" dysgraphia or any other learning disorder. They should (if they are quality) be able to recognize enough to get a formal evaluation. I would never formally diagnose a learning disorder by what I saw in my office, although I have had times where I am pretty sure of the diagnosis.

Find out what you need. Crazy as it seems I have had to write a note to school for children with a learning disorder which had already been formally diagnosed by professionals. The school would only settle for an MD signature.

Even with CAPD, we would need IQ and achievement testing to qualify for accommodations with the College Board. At least that's what they told me when I called.

I am a physician. I don't think most physicians would "diagnose" dysgraphia or any other learning disorder. They should (if they are quality) be able to recognize enough to get a formal evaluation. I would never formally diagnose a learning disorder by what I saw in my office, although I have had times where I am pretty sure of the diagnosis.

Find out what you need. Crazy as it seems I have had to write a note to school for children with a learning disorder which had already been formally diagnosed by professionals. The school would only settle for an MD signature.

Thank you both. He is set for an eval it's just so pricey I was hoping a doctor would be another option. We will go with the eval.

Thank you both. He is set for an eval it's just so pricey I was hoping a doctor would be another option. We will go with the eval.

How old is the student in question? Is he/she currently in school or are you looking ahead to college? The immediate need may be somewhat different depending on that answer. For a student who will want to take the college entrance tests in the next 2-3 years, it is definitely a good thing to get a full evaluation as soon as possible.

Here is the information about the Collegeboard's requirements for documentation, in case you haven't seen it yet:

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) main page

How old is the student in question? Is he/she currently in school or are you looking ahead to college? The immediate need may be somewhat different depending on that answer. For a student who will want to take the college entrance tests in the next 2-3 years, it is definitely a good thing to get a full evaluation as soon as possible.

Here is the information about the Collegeboard's requirements for documentation, in case you haven't seen it yet:

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) main page

He is in 11th grade so I need to get this done asap. He goes the 28th.